Update (2nd July, 6:18 IST): Reputed video games journalist Jason Schreier said the rumour is fake. He tweeted, “A good rule of thumb is that if a video game leak is a giant list of incredible-sounding bullet points, it’s fake.”
Update (1st July, 00:34 IST | Almost an hour after the update): We’re still not convinced with our first source. Thus, we’re re-investigating and trying to get another source to confirm these details. Until then, we’ll mark it back as a rumour piece.
Update (30th June, 23:30 IST | 18 hours after the initial report was published): We at Spiel Times confirmed these details with one of our sources and they’ve confirmed these to be true and accurate.
In the wake of rumours, speculations and internet craziness about Rockstar Games’ next entry into the Grand Theft Auto series, a massive leak has surfaced on Reddit detailing the development cycle of the game, setting, platforms it will be out for and much more.
The leak was dumped by u/JackOLantern1982 on the subreddit r/GamingLeaksAndRumours an hour ago. They claim to have a friend “who is very reliable and has worked for places such as Kotaku and PC Gamer” who relayed these details to them.
NOTE: We’re still verifying the credibility of the source and the information provided. Unless and until we confirm these details to be true and accurate, kindly treat them as rumour and nothing else.
- The upcoming GTA title (not sure if it’ll be called GTA 6) has been in development since 2012, i.e., one year prior to GTA 5’s launch.
- It’s a Rockstar Worldwide Production, meaning, all Rockstar studios are working on it.
- It’s codenamed “PROJECT AMERICAS”.
- It’s set in Vice City as well as a new fictional location based on Rio de Janeiro, with some linear non-open-world missions taking place in Liberty City.
- The game won’t focus on realism as in Red Dead Redemption 2 but we’ll see a balance between realism and arcade.
- We’ll play as one single protagonist and it will be a male character.
- The game sets in the 1970s-80s.
- You play as an up and coming drug lord-wannabe named “Ricardo”. You start off as a grunt doing runs as a cocaine smuggler from Vice City to the new largely South American area before making connections with big-time drug lords and making your way up.
- It’s heavily inspired by the Netflix series Narcos.
- They want to have an incredible 70s/80s soundtrack, but the jury is still out on that one.
- A younger Martin Madrazo (who runs his own Mexican-American drug Cartel in GTA V and is one of the main characters in GTA Online) will make an appearance as will his father who was a big drug lord then. You do some missions for the Madrazo family involving hits on other gangs.
- Drug empire building is a mechanic similar to Vice City Stories but much bigger. Leaker describes it as, “think the GTA Online system and dial it up to 10.”
- You can only have weapons on your character. No arsenal in your back pocket. Think RDR2 and Max Payne 3.
- There will be tons of subtitle reading. Think Max Payne 3 amounts. Because the characters speak the language they’re native to. Like watching an episode of Narcos. Whenever you’re in South America, don’t expect to hear much English. Vice City, however, is a mix of everything. Mostly English though.
- The game is being planned for the next-generation consoles (and Stadia, hopefully) only. So there won’t be PS4 and Xbox One releases.
- This is Rockstar’s primary focus at the moment alongside another title, which, the leaker believes to be Bully 2.
- It’s in Pre-Alpha so names, locations, details could and probably will change.
- No ETA on a release date yet.
We’ve contacted the leaker to sit back and discuss more on this topic. We’re also in the process of verifying if the information provided is true and accurate. We’ll notify you with an update if there’s any further development.
Subscribe to our push-notifications and newsletter and we shall keep you informed. Happy Gaming!