Is anyone up for some cinema news? Do you still remember how the Avatar movie turned out in its first film? If not, maybe this is a sign for you to rewatch it before Avatar 2: The Way of Water. Let’s throw it back again to the 2009 science fiction film before we enter a new era! Although, if you’re curious about Avatar 2 right now, then here’s what we know so far.
What we know so far about Avatar 2
We have known that the first film, Avatar, garnered a lot of spectators when it hit the box office way back in 2009. The highest-grossing movie of all time continues to break records as it was re-released in the theaters this 2022. As of this year, the number marks $2.85 billion worldwide, and how about we talk about the second installment?
The official release
- The sequel, Avatar 2: The Way of Water promises to hit U.S. theaters on December 16, 2022. The Way of the Water has been long due and faced delay after delay. Originally it was set to release in 2015, but the situation in the following years may have thrown it to a 2022 release.
The OG director
- In September 2020, the returning director James Cameron announces that they have finished the live-action filming of the sequel of the global hit. They have been working with the third installment as well, and as soon as Avatar 2 comes out, the third may be announced as finished as well. They aim to drop the third by 2024, however, this is still uncertain.
- Moreover, Cameron co-wrote the storyline of The Way of Water with Josh Friedman. The co-screenwriter is known to be a co-writer of the remake of War of the Worlds. Cameron may have packed a team of collaborators for the following films of Avatar as well. The sequels will explore “whole new worlds, habitats, and cultures”, according to a 2014 interview with a French news site, RTL.fr.
- Of course, the original main leads return to grace their characters Jake Sully and Neytiri in the sequel. Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana, respectively, come back to the world of Pandora. Veterans Stephen Lang, Dileep Rao, Joel David Moore, Giovanni Ribisi, and CCH Pounder, among others, rejoin Avatar 2.
- A new set of casts joins the former, with big names like Kate Winslet, Cliff Curtis, Game of Thrones’ Oona Chaplin, Michelle Yeoh, and more, who are set to bring Avatar 2 some twists.
Avatar 2: The Way of Water Plot
As the title suggests, Avatar 2 revolves around the ocean regions and the tribe. With this, we have confirmed above that new characters are to arise in the sequel film. But what would be the focus of the story?
- Well, we’ll see a family saga! The story follows the continuous adventures of Jake Sully and Neytiri’s family, and yes they’ll have their children in the film. Way back in a 2020 RNZ interview, Avatar producer Jon Landau gave the specifics of the sequel’s story:
“This is the story of the Sully family and what one does to keep their family together. Jake and Neytiri have a family in this movie, they are forced to leave their home, they go out and explore the different regions of Pandora, including spending quite a bit of time on the water, around the water, in the water. I think, why do people turn to entertainment today, more so than ever? I think it’s to escape, to escape the world we’re in, to escape the other pressures they have in their lives.” – Jon Landau
- Another addition with the title The Way of the Water, the filming takes a lot of submerging underwater to complete. Cameron, the crew, and the cast brought their swimming skills to the next level to produce one of the most anticipated films this year. With all this, the expected runtime of Avatar 2: The Way of Water would be around three hours long.
Here’s what we know so far about Avatar 2! Will we see you in the theaters, readers?
RELATED NEWS: “Avatar 2: The Way of Water” Teaser Trailer Released in CinemaCon 2022; Coming This December
You can also share any questions you have about Avatar 2 below. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.
Make sure you share, subscribe to our push notifications, and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!