American politician from the Democratic Party Beto O’Rourke had announced the passing of his sister Erin O’Rourke on his social media handles. The news comes from El Paso, Texas where Beto was born and raised.
Beto started as a city council representative and later went on to become a member of Congress. Keep reading to find out Beto’s heartfelt message for his late sister and Erin’s cause of death.
Beto O’Rourke’s post
Beto O’Rourke posted a picture of his sister Erin on Facebook and Twitter with a message announcing her death. The known politician pays a solemn tribute to Erin’s life calling her a beautiful soul and loving sister.
We lost our sister Erin this morning. A beautiful soul, a loving sister, daughter & friend. She had more than her share of challenges in life but kept her heart open to all throughout.
We’re grateful to all who loved and cared for her.
Rest in peace, Bear. We love you forever. pic.twitter.com/vjNqY22NIs
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) December 20, 2022
- Beto O’Rourke also shared his gratitude towards people who cared for her throughout tough times in her life. It’s important to note here that Erin was born with intellectual disabilities.
- In addition, tributes and condolence messages have poured in for Erin on Beto’s Facebook post as well as the official obituary page. Erin O’Rourke was 42.
Cause of Erin’s death
The cause of Erin’s death has not been revealed yet by Beto O’Rourke and family. But Beto mentions her “share of challenges” in her life which points to her difficulty with her disabilities.
- Beto and Erin’s father Pat O’Rourke passed away in an accident in 2001. Beto O’Rourke was the official legal guardian for his younger sibling Erin for many years owing to this reason.
Impact on Beto’s political career
Beto O’Rourke cites his sister Erin as his major inspiration for coming up with a proposal to improve the lives of people with disabilities in the United States.
- He has often stated that there is no bigger advocate in his life and career than his sister. Beto’s experience with Erin paved his path to help other people with physical and intellectual disabilities.
- Beto founded Powered by People, a Texas-based organization that works to expand democracy through direct voter engagement. The organization has helped register over 250,000 unregistered Texans to vote.
We must do better for those living with disabilities in America.
We must fully fund our special education programs.
We must expand the Voting Rights Act to make it easier to cast their ballots.
For too long, we have overlooked people with disabilities. That must change. pic.twitter.com/tLzoWrq8NA
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) October 7, 2019
About Beto O’Rourke
Beto’s moniker comes from his original name Robert Francis O’Rourke. Beto was the U.S. representative for Texas’s 16th congressional district from 2013 to 2019.
- Beto O’Rourke rose to fame thanks to his presidential campaign in 2020. The ‘Beto for America, Beto for All’ campaign proved to be unsuccessful and financially unsustainable.
- Furthermore, Beto O’Rourke announced he was running for Governor of Texas in the 2022 gubernatorial election. In the general election, he was defeated by the incumbent Republican Greg Abbott.
Since day one, we have run a campaign of, by, and for the people of Texas. Now, let's go win this election for all of us. pic.twitter.com/dROhiuGdTT
— Beto O'Rourke (@BetoORourke) November 7, 2022
Beto is married to Amy O’Rourke, and they have three children Ulysses, Molly and Henry. Our thoughts and prayers are with Beto O’Rourke and his family during this difficult time as they mourn the death of his sister Erin.
You can also share any questions you have about Beto O’Rourke. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.