In case you’re wondering what’s happening in social media, BTS may have the answer for that. Less than a day ago, the group’s company, Big Hit Music announced the confirmed service of the seven members of the Kpop sensation to the Korean military. This may have brought ARMYs into discourse about BTS’ exemption on the service. However, if you’re curious about the Korean military service, then you may want to keep reading here with us. We’ll also walk you through what we know so far about BTS’ military service, so let’s start.
BTS members to serve in South Korea
This has been a hot topic for a long while in South Korea and the BTS fandom as well. The group’s oldest member, Jin, turns 30 this December, and fans hoped for an exemption for the group. However, yesterday, October 17th, Big Hit Music posted an announcement regarding the mandatory service of the boys.
- In the Tweet, the company mentioned Jin to be the first member to be enlisted after releasing his solo soon. By the end of October, Jin’s schedule for his solo release ends, and proceeds to the enlistment procedure.
[공지] 방탄소년단 병역 이행 및 향후 활동 계획 안내 (+ENG/JPN/CHN) pic.twitter.com/jntF90agO4
— BIGHIT MUSIC (@BIGHIT_MUSIC) October 17, 2022
- As for the other members, they have plans to carry out their military service. Hopefully, this happens when each has released their solos. In their words, Big Hit Music states, “the members of BTS are currently moving forward with plans to fulfill their military service“.
- During the recent Busan concert, BTS may have subtly opened their plans to their fans. J-Hope mentions trust between the group and the ARMYs, as it was laid out that the group returns in 2025 as a whole. We wish you the best of luck, BTS! Oh, while you’re here, let’s talk about the Korean military service, shall we?
Korean military service
Here’s everything you need to know about enlistment in the service. In South Korea, it is mandatory for able-bodied men to render service in the Korean military. If you’re not familiar, there are numerous options where men can serve in the military. It may be under social work, research, full-time enlistment and conscription, and some entertainment aspect too.
- A Korean male may enter the military service once they turn 18 (in Korean age). It may be delayed until the age of 28, while BTS have been delayed by the government until the age of 30 because of their huge impact on Korean Pop Culture all over the world. Now, the group sets to enter the military one by one.
- Additionally, women are not required for Korean military service but may be accepted if they wish to.
How long would the service be?
- This differs on what branch you belong to, depending as well if it’s active or non-active duty. According to 90daykorean, the South Korean Army and Marines would take 21 months, the Navy needs 23 months, and while Air Force takes 24 months to complete.
- For non-active duty, “24 months for those in social work or international cooperation, 34 months for industrial technical personnel, and 36 months for those completing their service as doctors, lawyers, veterinarians, or expert researchers.” Let’s expect the boys to finish their service in 2025!
What to expect when they enter the service?
- Firstly, the BTS Korean military service would not be different from others, so expect their hair to be trimmed. Each man that would enter the service must shave his hair, and this has been practiced around the globe. It says that the shaved hair is collected in a bag, just in case unfortunate and tragic moments happen, according to an uBitto blog. And of course, a photo is taken upon enlistment. Take a look at the other Kpop group, EXO, as they take a photo to send a member that enlists! BTS group photo soon, please!
- Five weeks of basic military training happens when they first come to the base. This includes marching, exercises, walk training, firing weapons, speech training, and even military song training.
- Of course, in troops like this, collective punishment does happen. The fault of one is the fault of all, and in this case, it makes them grow closer. This also encourages each member to look out for each other all the time.
Will they have a time off?
- Lastly, if you’re wondering about this, yes, of course, they do. If one has served active duty for at least 100 days, they are granted their first time off. Holidays are also granted as rewards for the troops.
- If one faces a promotion, an extra 10 days of time off would be given as a reward. Also, the Chuseok holiday considers being one of the biggest holidays in the country, so time off is given on this day too.
This is all you have to know about the BTS Korean military service, ARMYs!