‘Only blue talk and love, remember‘, a line from Earth, Wind & Fire song, September. A saddening 2023 welcomed the soul band as one of their drummers has left the world. Fred White died at the age of 67, just before the new year started. As we relive the Earth, Wind & Fire journey of Fred White, let’s know the EW&F drummer’s cause of death as well.
Fred White’s cause of death
The news of Fred’s passing was announced by his older brother and former bandmate, Verdine White in an Instagram post on Sunday, January 1st. “Our family is saddened today. With the loss of an amazing and talented family member, our beloved brother Frederick Eugene “Freddie” White“.
- However, no cause of death has been provided by Verdine and their family. We may hear from them soon if they wish to publicize the reason for his demise.
- For now, the family and the EW&F fans need time with this sudden loss. Fred White lives in the hearts of every people they touched their hearts with the band’s music. Moreover, the band’s official Instagram page posted Fred’s drum solo of the song Runnin’ way back in 1979.
About Earth, Wind & Fire Freddie White
While we wait for news regarding Fred’s death, let’s look back on his musical journey. As Verdine White mentions, a child protégé, Fred started to play drums at the age of 9.
- Verdine and Fred have a half-brother, Maurice White who founded their band — Earth, Wind & Fire. In his memoir, Maurice says “Fred was the brick wall”.
- Fred started playing gigs at the age of 13, joined a band playing in nightclubs at 14, and drummed for the soul singer Donny Hathaway when he reached 15.
- He began touring as well around that age, and his brothers (Verdine and Maurice) took him to play drummer for Earth, Wind & Fire. At the young age of 16, Fred White received gold records for EW&F.
- The young Fred left the band in the 1980s but is considered one of the original, founding members of EW&F. Fred continued his drumming journey as he accompanied several artists after leaving the band. The most recent work he made, Fred joined Diana Ross’ with her 2021 comeback album “Thank You”.
EW&F musical journey
While Fred’s with the band, they won six Grammys out of 13 nominations. Fred played together on stage with their other drummer, Ralph Johnson, that brought the rhythm section of the band impeccable.
- In the year 2000, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted the band. EW&F rose in the industry during the 1970s to 1980s and gave a decade of “jazz, soul, gospel, pop and more and wrapped them in one psychedelic, mystical package,” according to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- Members inducted include Maurice White, Verdine White, Fred White, Al McKay, Andrew Woolfolk, Johnny Graham, Larry Dunn, Philip Bailey, and Ralph Johnson. The band currently has nine members, and only three members from the original 9 stayed in the band (Philip, Ralph, and Verdine).
Freddie White was born on January 13, 1955, in Chicago. We send our heartfelt condolences to his loved ones and fans, and may Fred rest in power.
You can also share any questions you have about EW&F Fred White’s death below. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.
Make sure you share, subscribe to our push notifications, and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!