In 2014, the Five Nights at Freddy’s (FNAF) franchise was born. The survival horror video game gained worldwide popularity and this led to a multitude of game sequels, spin-offs and even graphic novels. But an official FNAF movie has been long overdue. Blumhouse’s feature adaptation of the classic game now has a confirmed cast. Read to find out all information related to the FNAF movie.
FNAF Confirmed Cast
- At the time of announcement, it was not known what roles these actors would be playing in FNAF. But sources report that Josh Hutcherson will star as security guard Mike Schmidt, while Matthew Lillard will play the Purple Guy, William Afton.
- Matthew Lillard is best known as Shaggy from Scooby Doo as well as playing Stu Macher in Scream. Josh Hutcherson starred in The Hunger Games alongside Jennifer Lawrence.
- Mary Stuart Masterson and Piper Rubio are also reportedly part of the cast.
Original video game series
The original Five Nights at Freddy’s point-and-click survival game revolves around Michael Afton who gets a job at Freddy Fazbear’s pizza as a night guard.
- The objective of the game is to survive a whole shift, which lasts from midnight to 6:00 a.m. while avoiding the four animatronics who roam the restaurant during the evening.
- At the time of its release, FNAF was praised for its overall terrifying atmosphere executed by great design and subtlety.
Where to watch FNAF
There is no confirmed release date for the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie. It was initially planned for a release in 2020 but Scott Cawthon’s retirement slowed down the process.
- Now filming has been confirmed to start in February 2023 by the producers at Blumhouse.
#jimhensoncreatureshop is working on our animatronics
Emma Tammi is our director
Filming on #FNAF starts in February 2023. Boom.
— Jason Blum (@jason_blum) October 5, 2022
- Other comedy-horror films like The Banana Splits Movie and Willy’s Wonderland have storylines that resemble Five Nights at Freddy’s but their writers and directors have denied this.
The makers of FNAF
Blumhouse Productions, headed by Jason Blum, is producing the film alongside original game creator Scott Cawthon and Jim Henson’s Creature Shop to build the animatronics. Blumhouse has previously produced iconic horror films like Paranormal Activity, Get Out, and Insidious.
- Initially, Harry Potter and Home Alone director Chris Columbus was on board to direct the Five Nights at Freddy’s movie. But the upcoming video game adaptation is all set to be directed by Emma Tammi.
The Five Nights at Freddy’s franchise came into life almost unexpectedly. It was created as a response to the criticism that Scott Cawthon had received for his previous game Chipper & Sons Lumber Co.
It’s ironic to think about how far the franchise has come in terms of global success and public reception after such a shaky start for the creator. Fans of FNAF hope the film does justice to the original video game’s impact and clever design.
You can also share any questions you have about the FNAF movie. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.