The Official Trailer for Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed was released on March 22, 2022, and fans have been asking if this game is worth buying. Nobody expected IllFonic to release it that day, thus it came as a pleasant surprise to their supporters. In terms of the press, it is a privilege for us, Spiel Times, to be chosen as one of the few to see not just the Official Trailer but the Pre-Alpha gameplay as well.
Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed
IllFonic, the devs behind Friday the 13th: The Game, has done it again by creating another game based on a film; surprising its fans with this great title, Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleased. In this game, a group of four individuals must work together to catch several ghosts that are haunting various parts of the city.
Fans of the Ghostbusters franchise will enjoy this game since you will play as a buster and help save your neighborhood from these pesky ghosts.
“Ghostbusters is one of the most beloved IPs in the world, so we are pulling out all the stops to make something special and accessible to this diverse fanbase,”
“If you’re someone who loves the movies or asymmetrical multiplayer games, this was made for you.” – Charles Brungardt, CEO, IllFonic.
Here’s a gameplay of the Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed – in case you haven’t watched it yet.
- The Busters must keep the citizens safe and calm. To aid them in capturing ghosts terrorizing public places, Busters are equipped with a Proton Pack, a Ghost Trap, and the ever-reliable PKE Meter (which detects if there is a ghost nearby).
- Different types of Ghosts have their own unique abilities. Busters must identify the ghost they are dealing with because it will influence how they approach the situation.
- It is also possible for fans to take on the role of The Ghost. If you’re the type of gamer who enjoys playing as the evil guy, this is a game for you! (evil laugh)
- The Ghost’s main goals are to scare away citizens, haunt every possible map, and, of course, avoid being caught by the Busters.
- Ghosts have unique abilities that they can make use of. They have the ability to possess items, fly, teleport between rifts, spawn ghastly minions, spew slimes, and perform a variety of other abilities.
- In some ways, this game from IllFonic reminds me of Identity V. In Identity V, however, the players must unlock an exit while avoiding the hunter in order to escape the area.
- The big difference here is that the hunter in IllFonic’s Ghostbusters becomes the hunted.
- Winston Zeddemore, who is portrayed by Ernie Hudson, will be the one sending players off for campaigns/missions.
- At Ray’s Occult Books, you can meet some new and old friends like Dan Aykroyd’s Ray Stantz that may aid you on your journey.
As the Spiel Times crew watched the 20-minute pre-alpha gameplay, we saw that in order to win the match, one side had to complete all of the objectives at 100%. One obvious objective of The Busters is to simply catch the ghost!
- I’m convinced that there will be a number of campaigns for both the Ghost and the Busters, each with its own set of winning conditions on different maps.
- If this is not the case, after a few days of play, the game will get monotonous. And we don’t want that to happen after all the hype around this game, do we? 😉
HAUNT THE BUILDING (Ghost Winning Conditions)
- After scaring away all the civilians in the area, the ghost will have a 90-second countdown to win the game.
If the ghostbusters fail to catch it inside that time limit, the game is over, the Ghost wins, and the area is declared fully haunted.
FIND AND TRAP THE GHOST (Busters Winning Conditions)
- The main goal for the Busters is to destroy all three rifts that the ghost uses to teleport.
- After that, the squad can search for the ghost and try to capture it.
There’s a meter indicator for both the busters and the ghost. To finish the match, one of the sides must reach 100% first.
GADGETS AND ABILITIES
- Busters and ghosts have distinct arsenals that they can utilize to their advantage, as shown in the pre-alpha gameplay. The iconic firehouse will remain the headquarters for players who seek to customize their devices or improve their Ghost abilities.
- Before each match, you can customize your Ghostbuster or Ghost, upgrade equipment and abilities. You can also get some target practice with the Particle Thrower and its different versions.
- This game has a leveling system where you can improve your characters’ gadgets and, in the case of the ghosts, their skills. After each match, you will gain experience and fill up the bar, which will raise your user level.
PC, PlayStation 4 and 5, and/or Xbox Series X|S or One can all play together thanks to the game’s cross-platform multiplayer capabilities. Players can also use AI buddies for extra assistance or play solo as a Ghost to play offline.
IllFonic’s Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed is set to hit the Epic Games Store, PlayStation 4 and 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One on October 18, 2022. Our best guess is during the Halloween season because it fits the theme, don’t you think?
PREORDER LINK HERE
Our sincere thanks to Stride and IllFonic for the invite and for allowing us to watch the pre-alpha gameplay!
If you have any questions about Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed, feel free to share them in the comments below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!