343 Industries recently revealed that the server for the vast majority of Xbox 360 Halo titles will be shut down. The initial date for the server shut down is December 2021. However, 343 has since confirmed that it won’t be shut down completely until January 13th, 2022.
“To date, we’ve juggled future-facing work and priorities with continued upkeep of Halo’s Xbox 360 legacy services. Maintaining these legacy services today requires significant time and resources which directly impacts the studio’s ability to support current and future projects like Halo: The Master Chief Collection and Halo Infinite.”
– 343 Industries
Server Shut Down
- Many are wondering why this is happening in the first place. 343 previously revealed that the amount of people playing Halo games on Xbox 360 has been steadily decreasing over time.
- As a result, the studio’s option to retain online components for all these games alive no long did make sense. Specifically, when those same resources might be more useful in projects like Halo Infinite or Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
- The list below is all the games that will no longer be available online. Some games’ multiplayer functions will be halted as a result of the server closures in January. Luckily, they will still be playable offline.
- Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Halo 4
- Halo Wars, Spartan Assault Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Bungie’s Halo is a military science fiction media franchise. Xbox Game Studios manages and distributes the series, which is now under 343 Industries. Halo Infinite will be accessible on December 8 for PC, Xbox One, & Xbox Series X|S.
If you have any questions regarding Halo, feel free to ask in the comments below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!