The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is one of the most anticipated games of the year. Perhaps, it is the most anticipated game of the entire Switch generation too. It is no surprise that people have taken a keen interest in it and are looking forward to its release which is scheduled on 12th May 2023. With the game’s release being just around the corner, several leaks have already surfaced. Not only leaks and rumors regarding the gameplay or lore, but the game itself got leaked before its release.
Tears of the Kingdom leaked so there are new screenshots floating around.
I've waited 4+ years for the game, we are so close to release, I'm trying so hard not to see ANYTHING.
It's a shame this regularly happens for big games.
— Stealth (@Stealth40k) May 1, 2023
Let’s take a look at all these Zelda leaks and find out what actually happened.
Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game files leaked before launch
Bad news to all the players who were looking forward to a spoiler-free experience on The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom. Two weeks prior to the game’s launch, it was leaked and made available to the public. It has left the entire gaming community confused and a lot of us are wondering how did it happen? Although it still isn’t completely clear, but according to tweets and some subreddits this is how it all happened-
- Physical copies which were being sold by retailers prior to the game’s launch were brought by many people.
- Out of all these people, one person allegedly played the game on a computer via PC emulation and streamed it on a Discord server.
- The game files were also uploaded on filesharing websites by the same person, through which the game found its way online.
- Gameplay images and footage surfaced on the internet, many of which were taken down eventually.
- Twitch accounts of some people were suspended when they made an attempt to stream the game on Twitch.
The Negative Impact of Game Leaks on Developers and Players
The leak of the game before its official release had several impacts on the game and its developers.
- It spoilt the gameplay for many players who were eagerly waiting for the game to release. This can hurt sales as it dampens the excitement around the game’s launch.
- It could cause financial losses for the developers and publishers as many players may just pirate the game instead of actually buying it.
- Nintendo is seeking the identity of the user who was held responsible for the gameplay leak. It subpoenaed Discord for the identity of the leaker, and that legal process is ongoing. This process is rather time-consuming and sometimes expensive too.
yeah i just saw that in the discord leak gc I’m devastated I really hope it’s a BOTW mod but I don’t think so 😭😭😭
— THE LEGEND OF ZELDA : TEARS OF THE KINGDOM 🔺 (@xhylink) May 1, 2023
Other leaks/speculations for The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TEARS OF THE KINGDOM OFFICIALLY RELEASES THIS WEEK. WE’RE IN THE FINAL STRETCH. pic.twitter.com/W4AKu7kzoG
— Yuyu (@Plun_Yu) May 8, 2023
Besides the game files leak, and all the ruckus online, fans have come up with theories and leaked information about The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom.
- A playable Zelda: It is highly speculated that Zelda might be added as the second playable character in the game. It would make the game much more fun since fans have been asking for a playable Zelda for ages.
- Time Travel: The Zelda game series is already familiar with the concept of time travel. Players will likely be excited about this new feature in The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom that was not available in Breath of the Wild.
- New abilities: Fans are hoping to see improved versions of champion abilities such as Revali’s Gale, Daruk’s Protection, etc.
- Link’s End?: Players all around the world are speculating that this game would feature the end of Link. It is very unlikely but would be a bold move according to fans as it may allow them to play as another character entirely.
In conclusion, the leaked game files of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom have had a big impact. While it has spoiled the game for many, others are eagerly waiting for its release with their own speculations. However, one thing is certain: players will be diving into the world of Hyrule once again, ready to uncover its secrets and embark on a new adventure.
Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. Follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!