An upcoming Hollywood film – Lisa Frankenstein, is in the works, and starring alongside Cole Sprouse could be Filipino actress Liza Soberano. An excerpt from Deadline mentions the film. Set in 1989, Lisa Frankenstein tells the story of “an unpopular high schooler who accidentally re-animates a handsome Victorian corpse during a lightning storm. She starts to rebuild him into the man of her dreams using the broken tanning bed in her garage.”
What makes Lisa Frankenstein intriguing is the notable people working on this film. According to Deadline, Lisa Frankenstein is directed by Zelda Williams, the late Robin Williams’ daughter. This feature-length film will also serve as Williams’ directional debut.
The script is written by none other than Oscar winner Diablo Cody. Cody will be co-producing it with Mason Novick under MXN Entertainment. The two have previously worked on films such as Tully (2018), Young Adult (2011), Jennifer’s Body (2009), and Juno (2007).
Kathryn Newton and Cole Sprouse are set to star in this film. But Filipino fans also believed that starring with them is a popular actress from the Philippines, Liza Soberano. Quite similar to Zelda Williams, this could be the actress’ Hollywood debut–and fans cannot help but feel hyped for Liza!
Who is Liza Soberano?
- Hope Elizabeth Hanley Soberano, commonly known as Liza Soberano, is a Filipino-American actress, model, singer, and endorser. She starred in various television series and movies such as Wansapanataym (2011), Kung Ako’y Iiwan Mo (2012), She’s the One (2013), Must Be… Love (2013).
- While the romantic comedy television series Forevermore (2014–2015) with Enrique Gil served as her breakthrough. Since then, she was with Gil in numerous romance films such as Just The Way You Are (2015), Everyday I Love You (2015), My Ex and Whys (2017), Alone/Together (2019).
- The 24-year-old actress has become a popular and influential celebrity in the Philippines. In August 2015, she was included in The Philippine Star Lifestyle “29 Most Bright & Beautiful” list. Campaign Asia Magazine named Soberano as 2017 most popular endorser of the year.
‘Receipt’ on the speculations
The rumors rose after Jessie Stafford tagged Soberano on her Instagram story on August 9. She is from the event production agency JSLA Events. “Sending you and your team all the amazing energy to fill this film,” Stafford said.
The story featured an Instagram post from Kathryn Newton. It shows a clapper and director’s chair. Stafford also tagged Transparent Arts which handles Soberano’s manager and fellow actor James Reid.
Though the Instagram story has been removed, one of Reid’s fan accounts was able to take a screenshot and reposted it on Twitter. “Congratulations Careless Artist’ @lizasoberano for landing a role in Focus Features’ Lisa Frankenstein!” the account tweeted.
Congratulations Careless Artist’ @lizasoberano for landing a role in Focus Features’ Lisa Frankenstein!
— James' REIDers (@REIDersOfficial) August 9, 2022
In addition, previous reports last May revealed Soberano’s plans for international opportunities. Ogie Diaz, the actress’ talent manager, mentioned that Liza Soberano aims to pursue opportunities in Hollywood in his latest YouTube vlog.
Since signing with James Reid’s record label, Careless Music, Liza Soberano has been exploring different opportunities abroad.
Though the actress herself is yet to confirm her involvement in Lisa Frankenstein, we cannot wait to see her on the international scene!
Filipinos’ mark around the world
The international film industry, in general, has progressed with more diverse actors than before. The involvement of Filipino actors and actresses is no exception.
Filipinos have long been part of numerous international films and they continue to do so. Actors such as Jacob Batalon, Dave Bautista, Manny Jacinto, and Conrad Ricamora are prominent actors with Filipino roots.
However, Filipino actors that started in the local scene have also created a space of representation internationally. Their active participation proves that they possess exceptional talent on the global stage.
Here is a list of Filipino stars that were, or will be, featured in International films:
- Firstly, Bea Alonzo is one of the country’s prominent actors that consistently dominated the local entertainment industry. She is also about to make her Hollywood debut as she stars in a movie entitled Angel Warrior.
- According to an article from Nylon Manila, Bea will be playing the role of Tala. She is a Filipina living during the pre-World War 2 era. Tala’s near-death experience will urge her to become an underground fighter. She will join Filipino and American soldiers on the island of Panay and fight the Japanese soldiers.
- Angel Warrior will be a Filipino-Hollywood co-production. It is based on real events and will start filming in mid-2022 and will be released in late 2022.
- While Lea Salonga is not new to Hollywood. A known Disney legend, she was the singing voice of Princess Jasmine in Aladdin and Mulan in Mulan. She is now set to join the cast of HBO Max’s reboot of the original teen show, Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin.
- The singer and actress will play Elodie Laya, Minnie’s mother. The character is described to be a hardworking mom that keeps her daughter safe from a traumatic event when she was a child.
- The well-known celebrity and actress Kris Aquino made her Hollywood debut in the blockbuster romance-comedy film, Crazy Rich Asians. She played Princess Intan, a wealthy Malay royal charmed by Rachel Chu during Araminta and Colin Khoo’s wedding.
- John Arcilla, locally known in the film Heneral Luna, made his Hollywood debut in a cameo in The Bourne Legacy. A few scenes from the film were in the Philippines.
- In addition, Arcilla also starred in the British-produced crime drama Metro Manila. It was written by British director Sean Ellis. But the project was created with a great amount of Filipino cast and crew. Premiered at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, it won an Audience Award after its showing.
- Finally, Chai Fonacier is a rising star that starred in critically acclaimed films such as Patay na si Hesus and Respeto. The actress is about to make her international debut in the horror-thriller film, Nocebo. She will play Diana, a Filipino carer.
- Filmed in Ireland, the story revolves around a fashion designer suffering from an unknown illness. She turns to Diana to use traditional folk medicine for treatment. However, the treatment also reveals a frightening truth.
Certainly, these are just a few of the various Filipino artists on the international scene. And we cannot wait for Liza Soberano to be on the list!
Do you know any Filipino actors? What movies have they starred in? Share them below! For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications. Stay posted and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!