Young girls missing in Karachi, Pakistan, were discovered in Lahore. As per reports, they fled to meet the South Korean boyband BTS. Police share the latest updates in this story of fangirling gone too far.
Missing Young girls found in Lahore
Two young girls went missing from their home in Karachi last week. Upon the police’s initial search, the girls willingly fled, hoping to meet BTS. According to the latest updates, they are found safe 1,200 kilometers away in Lahore. They are in police custody and will travel back with dispatched Karachi police.
- According to a report on CNN, police eliminated reasons for kidnapping during the initial investigation. The girls are in their early teens; one is 13, and the other is 14. They flew from their residence in Korangi City in Karachi and voluntarily traveled to Lahore.
- Korangi Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Abraiz Ali Abbasi shared the reason behind the Karachi girls’ escape from home was to meet the South Korean boyband BTS. Moreover, it was due to a timely FIR that they returned safely.
An FIR filed by a neighbor helped the police
On 7 January 2023, Mohammed Junaid registered a First Information Report (FIR) at the Zaman Town police station. It was filed under Section 364-A (kidnapping or abducting a person under the age of fourteen) of the Pakistan Penal Code, as per the reports.
- One of the girl’s fathers Mohammed Junaid was the first to discover them missing. He lives in the same neighborhood as the other girl and was home with his 13-year-old daughter when her friend arrived.
- According to the FIR, Moh. Junaid went to the rooftop for some time. However, when he returned, he couldn’t find any of the girls at home. He felt alarmed and therefore went looking for them, only to find his neighbor searching for his daughter as well. Due to this, Junaid went to the police and filed an FIR.
Diary note revealed their whereabouts and link to BTS
CNN spoke with Korangi’s SSP Mr. Abbasi, who disclosed that the police discovered a diary from one of the girls’ homes that revealed their plans to travel to South Korea and meet K-pop artists.
- From the diary, police found mentions of train timetables. The teenagers had been planning to run away and had invited another friend and a cousin to join. They both had declined. However, their interview revealed the girls’ plan of traveling to Islamabad via Lahore before traveling to South Korea.
- After tracking them, the police found out both the girls were in the custody of the Lahore police. They traveled 1,200 KM by train before finally being discovered at Lahore station.
As a Pakistani BTS Army myself, I believe what those girls did was foolish and dangerous. And I'm glad they were found safe.
With that said, I hope we Pakistanis talk about this incident without bashing the girls or the boys.
Growing up, I used to remember stories +
— Injie Anis (@InjieAnis) January 10, 2023
Public reaction to the case
Korangi’s SSP Mr. Abbasi, appealed to parents to be more aware of what their children are watching online.
- On the other hand, culture journalist Rabia Mahmoud expressed that it isn’t a surprise that young fans make such hasty and risky decisions for their idols. She proposes a safer and more organized way for young girls to express their liking as means to avoid such incidents from happening again.
- K-pop has a huge fan base spanning many ages and genders worldwide, including Pakistan. Therefore, whenever such incidents occur, the fanbase expresses its concerns by emphasizing that being a fan doesn’t come at the cost of one’s safety and well-being.
Girls running away from home saying we want to meet bts is totally not legal and a good move!
Imagine the damage it has done not only to their respect but also the honor of BTS and the Pakistan ARMY all over!
– Those people (admins) who are working hard day and night for the +
— 마술사 ᵗᵃʳᵃ ᵏⁱᵐ 彡★ (@AsraFatyma) January 10, 2023
The fans discourage such decisions due to their dangerous consequences. Other than that, their decisions can also negatively affect the artist’s public image. What do you believe should be done to stop such incidents? Let us know in the comments, and follow Spiel Times for the latest updates in entertainment, gaming, and sports.