Warner Bros has officially made the announcement about MultiVersus, which is a “Super Smash Bros-like fighter”, developed by Player First Games. It brings together characters from various shows such as Scooby-Doo, Adventure Time, Loony Tunes, and also Game of Thrones. The release is all set to happen in 2022. And, the good news is that it will be completely free to play!
MultiVersus will feature 1v1, 2v2, and 4-player free-for-all battles on stages inspired after the game’s characters, such as the Batcave and Jake and Finn’s Treefort. A partial lineup has also been unveiled, with more to come, and each character will be voiced by their original acting talent.
By now we know that the following characters will be included in the game:
- Batman – voiceover will be done by Kevin Conroy
- Superman, voiceover will be done by George Newbern
- Wonder Woman, voiceover will be done by Abby Trott
- Harley Quinn, voiceover will be done by Tara Strong
- Shaggy (Scooby-Doo), voiceover will be done by Matthew Lillard
- Bugs Bunny (Looney Tunes), voiceover will be done by Eric Bauza
- Arya Stark (Game of Thrones), voiceover will be done by Maisie Williams
- Jake the Dog (Adventure Time), voiceover will be done by John DiMaggio
- Finn the Human (Adventure Time), voiceover will be done by Jeremy Shada
- Steven Universe, voiceover will be done by Daniel DiVenere
- Garnet (Steven Universe), voiceover will be done by Estelle
- Tom and Jerry, voiceover will be done by Eric Bauza
- Reindog (an original character for MultiVersus), voiceover will be done by Andrew Frankel
Every fighter seems to have a distinct set of abilities. These abilities have been carefully constructed to connect dynamically with other characters. Customization occurs in the form of perk loadouts, which allow for some gameplay diversity. There are, of course, skins and emotes for each character to allow for some aesthetic expression.
“With MultiVersus we are creating a distinct competitive game that allows us to combine a deep roster of celebrated WarnerMedia franchises for gamers to enjoy. We are partnering with the talented team at Player First Games to bring together a free-to-play, online platform fighter with a wealth of iconic characters that fans know and love, from Wonder Woman and Bugs Bunny to Shaggy and Arya from Game of Thrones. And this is just the beginning, as we are excited to support upcoming seasons and ongoing game content.”
– David Haddad, Warner Bros. Games President
Additionally, Tony Huynh who is the Co-Founder and Game Director of Player First Games said, “MultiVersus is a dream project for our team at Player First Games, and we’re excited to officially reveal the game. We’ve built MultiVersus from the ground up to be a cooperative, social game that embraces teamwork and strategy. We’re also focused on providing first class online gameplay through dedicated server-based rollback netcode so that friends and rivals can enjoy a seamless competitive experience as they duke it out with our diverse roster of characters.”
Moreover, MultiVersus’ will also support cross-play and cross-progression across Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PS5/PS4, and PC through Steam. Player First Games is also going to hold playtests; players planning to participate in the same can do so by signing up from the MultiVersus website.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!