The only thing that gets you more than teenage romantic comedy is a teenage romantic comedy that does cosplay for a thing in the plot. My Dress-Up Darling lives up to its name with an initial season one that contended with the likes of Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 2 and Demon Slayer Entertainment District Arc.
When one first hears this anime bulldozing into the anime fandom, the expected reaction is “Woah wait up, really”? The Shinichi Fukuda-drawn and written original manga series that made its official anime adaptation in the Winter season of 2022 is all set for a My Dress-Up Darling sequel project.
The first season of the anime adaptation of My Dress-Up Darling aired in Jan 2022. The original Manga by Shinichi Fukuda got its serialization in Square Enix’s Young Gangan in January 2018. CloverWorks studio saw its promise and took the job of animating what later became one of this year’s most contending, fruitful, wholesomely delicious, and fan-favorite anime. The first season ran from January to March 2022.
What’s the Announcement?
— TVアニメ『その着せ替え人形は恋をする』 (@kisekoi_anime) September 17, 2022
- My Dress-up Darling held a special event to celebrate its first season, in which it was announced that the anime will have a sequel project.
- The My Dress-Up Darling sequel has been called a project, which could imply a number of things. Often time it’s either a film (something akin to the next Haikyuu sequel being a film) or a second season. Our bets, it’s likely a series.
To commemorate the same, the manga author Fukuda sensei drew a special visual to celebrate the sequel. Along with this, a short 1-minute promo was released on youtube, which you will find at the beginning of this article.
— 梅原翔太 (@kafunsyokougun) September 17, 2022
Animating director Shouta Umehara tweeted –
“Congratulations on the announcement of the My Dress-Up Darling Season 2. It’s not that the producers planned a second season but the sheer force of support from everyone who loved the anime and everyone who bought the merchandise made us rethink. This is crazy because it wasn’t in our plans at all. But I will do my best as long as there are people interested in seeing my work. “
How many Manga Chapters did the first season of My Dress-Up Darling Cover?
- The first Anime season covered the first five volumes of the Manga. That means the anime left off around chapter 39.
- The manga currently has 9 volumes, so another season is pretty much possible (instead of a film).
- Films are more befitting of Manga stories that have come to an end (again, Haikyuu!!).
My Dress-Up Darling where to watch (worldwide)
- My Dress-Up Darling originally streamed on Funimation, but one can find it primarily on Crunchyroll here for worldwide streaming.
- Although it is available on the Japanese servers in Netflix and Prime Videos, it isn’t available for worldwide streaming just yet.
How My Dress-Up Darling shook the Anime fandom
There are multiple reasons why My Dress-Up Darling worked. But if one took all those reasons and put them together in a separate anime altogether, it may not work. It seems some shows really shine bright suddenly out of the blue. Nobody and I mean not even the animating director, expected the anime to end up becoming such a huge thing in the anime community.
- As of June 2022, the manga has reportedly sold over 8 million copies in circulation. The animating director himself said in the tweet that the anime has soared in merchandise sales.
What My Dress-Up Darling is About
Crunchyroll describes the anime as the following –
“Wakana Gojo is a high school boy who wants to become a kashirashi–a master craftsman who makes traditional Japanese Hina dolls. Though he’s gung-ho about the craft, he knows nothing about the latest trends and has a hard time fitting in with his class. The popular kids–especially one girl, Marin Kitagawa–seem like they live in a completely different world. That all changes one day, when she shares an unexpected secret with him, and their completely different worlds collide.”
From the Animating Director Shouta Umehara’s tweet, this much credit can be ascribed to the fans. Honestly, when it came out in the Winter season of 2022, the anime fans were pressing in the nervous calling of a new Demon Slayer season 3 episode.
When they had free time from the unending actions of Uzui vs the upper-ranked demons, they plagued themselves with the melancholic tragedies that Eren Yeager brought to the world. My Dress-Up Darling probably served as the frenzy of comfort and ease (and some horniness every here and there) that would just make the end of the day – worth it all. With My Dress-Up Darling season 2 (sequel) all announced, what are your expectations of the same?
That’s it then weeaboos, weebs, and otakus (I am not condescending you). Make sure to share, and subscribe to our push notifications You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!