With plenty of exciting new game titles to play, a new era of PlayStation VR, and much more, Sony looks set to extend its streak of success from this year into 2023. But nothing can excite fans as much as a potential new console itself. So, the question remains: Is there going to be a new Sony PlayStation 5 model in 2023? Here’s what we know so far about the rumored, updated PS5 models – PS5 Pro and PS5 Slim.
PS5 Pro and PS5 Slim rumors
- The PlayStation gaming community has been hyped up ever since rumors emerged that Sony will follow its PS4 update pattern and release two new variants of the PlayStation 5: the PS5 Pro and the PS5 Slim.
- The rumors have been strengthened after Sony’s Senior Vice President of Platform Experience, Hideaki Nishino hinted at the prospect of at least one more new console (along with PlayStation VR 2) in 2023, in an interview with Famitsu.
- This November marked two years since Sony released the PlayStation 5 which went on to become the fastest-selling launch in its history.
- Before the PlayStation 5 replaced the PlayStation 4 as Sony’s flagship device, it’s important to remember that the PS4 was not actually their high-end console.
- Three years after the PS4’s release, Sony unveiled two consoles with hardware revisions: the PlayStation 4 Pro and the PlayStation 4 Slim.
- The PS4 Slim had the same specs as the original PS4 but with a much smaller form factor. This phased out the original console while the PS4 Pro took the GPU up a notch and also enabled 4K game rendering.
- The updated console allowed new releases to run with higher frame rates, output with 4K visuals, and run with more stability than their base PS4 counterparts.
- Speaking in terms of design and form factor, fans await the PS5 Slim simply because the PlayStation 5 takes up a little too much space in their living rooms.
- In 2021, the PS5 was out in limited supply owing to a global shortage of semiconductors. An updated internal chipset of the PS5 Pro would mean the supply would be eased.
- Rumors on Twitter and Reddit claim that the PS5 Pro may only come in a digital version. The console is likely to feature a detachable disc drive with a USB-C cable. The idea has already divided the internet.
- The updated PlayStation 5 consoles might be a little farfetched, but Sony already has a confirmed console release on its hands: the PlayStation VR2.
- Sony’s second virtual reality headset has 4K HDR capabilities and a new Sense Technology that combines eye tracking, headset feedback, and 3D Audio.
- The PSVR2 is expected to be launched in March 2023 which pushes a potential PS5 Slim release date to November 2024, three years after the PS5 launch.
The possibility of a trimmed-down PlayStation 5 Slim or a beefed-up (in specs) PlayStation 5 Pro is always looming, especially as the three-year mark nears. Will Sony repeat their trend with the PS5 or is it just going to be the PlayStation VR 2 in 2023?
You can also share any questions you have about Sony PlayStation 5. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.