There are sparks of excitement among NFL fans as the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants close out opening Sunday in the NFL for the prime-time battle. However, this contest opened with multitudes of emotions as it began with the performance of the national anthem by Queen Latifah. Read ahead to find out more about fans’ reactions, and watch the performance here.
Queen Latifah sings the national anthem in the opening ceremony
The Emmy and Grammy winner, Queen Latifah, sang the national anthem during the opening Sunday. This tradition of singing the national anthem ahead of the year’s football matches was particularly special this year as it comes a day ahead of 9/11.
- Subsequently, Queen Latifah’s rendition spread the emotional tones inside MetLife Stadium as the United States mourned the 22 years of the September 11 tragedy. Watch the complete performance below:
— NFL (@NFL) September 11, 2023
- The ceremony was memorable as the choir members representing the New York Fire Department and the New York Police Department joined the star. The event was completed by presenting the colors with an honor guard representing the NYPD, FDNY, and Port Authority.
- Additionally, the FDNY and NYPD Members involved or affected by the 9/11 attacks accompanied the Giants as they ran out of the tunnel for player introductions. This ceremony made many fans tear up with emotions as they mourned the tragedy.
Fans react to the performance
The fans of Queen Latifah and the NFL expressed their emotions after watching the awaited national anthem performance on platform X (used to be known as Twitter). Many viewers appreciated the singer’s rendition and admitted tearing up from the ceremony.
- Meanwhile, some of the viewers expressed their confusion regarding the lyrics. They wondered if the singer changed or accidentally forgotten some of the lines of the national anthem. However, the general opinion remains that she made this year’s ceremony particularly memorable with her grand performance. Read some of the reactions from the fans below:
Queen Latifa absolutely smashed that national anthem
— Chase Fuller (@Chase12Fuller) September 11, 2023
No matter who you are or what political side you are on that National Anthem sung with such JOY was something we all needed
Brought tears to MY eyes
— Sara James (@saraforamerica) September 11, 2023
Queen Latifa had me crying 😢 R.I.P. to my brothers dad. I’m emotional today 😔
— BigPlay-A (@DiamondGem143) September 11, 2023
Did Queen Latifa just mess up the lyrics to the national anthem?
— Mimi is searching out fear in the gathering gloom (@mimidancer) September 11, 2023
More about Queen Latifah
Queen Latifah, whose real name is Dana Elaine Owens, is a native of Newark, New Jersey. She spent a large part of her childhood in East Orange. She was enrolled in the Essex Catholic Girls High in Irvington. Later, she attended Irvington High, where she also graduated.
Queen Latifa!! pic.twitter.com/8DuNg4kAMN
— Pam Burke (@pamburkespeaks) September 11, 2023
- This multitalented star is also a former basketball player, having played forward. Her hip-hop career began with beatboxing for her group Flavor Unit. Queen Latifah’s breakthrough was arguably the hit song U.N.I.T.Y, which served as a wake-up call for female treatment in rap music.
- Fans still remember her earlier music, with which she became a household name in the industry. She touched on the sensitive topics of the struggles of domestic violence, harassment, and relationship issues.
- Following her success as a hip-hop artist, she grew her music by incorporating soul and jazz. She’s now an established actor in Hollywood with credits in popular films, including Chicago, Barbershop 2, Hairspray, and 22 Jump Street.
What is your opinion about Queen Latifah’s national anthem performance? Share with us in the comments below. For more content, stay with us here at Spiel Times. Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update. You can also follow us on Spiel Anime, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Until next time!