After many rumors, the “mini” version of Nintendo Switch was finally announced and it will be available in three colors: yellow, gray and turquoise. The official name is Nintendo Switch Lite and it is a less expensive version of the hybrid console. It is being sold for $199,99. It is a uniquely portable model, so it does not offer the dock and cannot be connected to the TV in any way.
There are obviously other changes. Nintendo Switch Lite is much lighter: it is a key feature for a portable console. The Joy-Con is part of the console structure. The layout of the controls is practically identical: the only difference is related to the directional buttons that have now been replaced by a real d-pad. Furthermore, the IR camera in the right Joy-con has been removed. Even the rumble HD is no longer present.
According to Nintendo, the console’s battery is slightly better than the hybrid version. The screen changes from 6.2 inches to 5.5 inches. A carrying case and screen protector set for Nintendo Switch Lite will also be available. The new device can play all games in the robust Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode, but remember some games will have restrictions. Compatible game modes will be listed on the back of each game’s packaging and in the official Nintendo eShop. Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite owners can get together to enjoy compatible multiplayer titles like Super Mario Maker 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
NINTENDO SWITCH LITE – TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Dimensions 91.1mm x 208mm x 13.9mm Note: 28.4 mm at the thickest point
- Weight Approx. 275 g
- Capacitive touch screen / 5.5 inch LCD / 1280 x 720 resolution
- CPU / GPU NVIDIA Tegra processor
- 32 GB system memory Note: approximately 6.2 GB of available space is reserved for operating system data.
- Wireless LAN connectivity (IEEE 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac compatible) / Bluetooth 4.1 / NFC (near-field communication) Video output – Audio output
- Stereo Speakers
- Commands “Left Stick Can be pressed and used as a button.” “Right stick Can be pressed and used as a button.” A / B / X / Y / L / R / ZL / ZR buttons + / Button – Hand control + button POWER button Volume buttons HOME button Capture button
- USB port Type-C USB port
- Audio socket Stereo output Game card slot Only for Nintendo Switch game cards. MicroSD card slot
- Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.
SPECIAL POKÉMON EDITION
A special Pokémon-themed version of the newly announced Nintendo Switch Lite system has also been revealed and will be available in North America starting Nov. 8. This unique system will be available at a suggested retail price of $199.99, while supplies last. The Nintendo Switch Lite Zacian and Zamazenta Edition feature stylish cyan and magenta buttons and illustrations of the two new Legendary Pokémon from the upcoming Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shieldgames for Nintendo Switch.
For more information about Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, visit http://pokemon.com/swordshield
For additional information about Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/lite/.
Nintendo also released a comparison page where you can see the differences: https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/
Let us know what is your opinion on the newly revealed Switch Lite!