What is better than a free-to-play game? A free-to-play game that transfers its previous title to currencies to the next one. According to developers, Overwatch in-game currency and more will transfer to Overwatch 2.
With Overwatch 2’s launch on the horizon, developers reveal more details specifically for in-game currencies. According to the developers, Overwatch in-game currencies transfers into Overwatch 2.
Commercial Lead Jon Spector (Reddit: j-specs) mentioned that all older currencies and points will transfer over to Overwatch 2. This is after a Reddit user asked, on the Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) series, how Blizzard will handle Overwatch 1 currencies in the sequel.
This means that when Overwatch 2 launches, players can expect their in-game credits, OWL tokens, and competitive points to appear in their accounts. However, Spector clarified that there are items in Overwatch 2 that players cannot purchase.
For unopened loot boxes, there will be an “automated transfer” feature. Since loot boxes will not be a thing in Overwatch 2, the feature will automatically open all loot boxes in transition to the sequel. More importantly, it appears that everyone who played Overwatch can seamlessly transfer to Overwatch 2.
For complete details, Spector opened that the game will reveal all the details on the release itself.
Other questions asked during the AMA series that you might be interested in:
Overwatch: Symmetra’s Rework
- TobizII Asked: A while ago you announced some “meaty changes” for Symmetra. What are the goals of her mini rework and what can we expect?
- Blizzard_Jno Response: I wouldn’t necessarily call it a rework since it’s more tuning than changing the mechanics but the general goal of the changes is to help improve her mobility and enable her to better react to the faster pace of 5v5. Can’t go into all the details but there are things like a shorter teleporter build time and faster secondary fire projectile speed.
Early Access and Replacement of Previous Overwatch Series
- playerdBD Asked: What does the term “Early Access” means for Overwatch 2? Does this mean that on this day OW1 is getting replaced by OW2’s PvP or will OW1 shut down once the game is out of Early Access?
Blizz_Akeller Response: We’re using the term Early Access to indicate that this is just the start of many new things coming to the game. We’re launching with new heroes, maps, and features, but there are even more of these coming seasonally – every 9 weeks. We recently released a roadmap detailing some of this content, with a new hero coming in Seasons 1 and 2, and a new map in Season 2. Additionally, larger pieces of the game that have always been a part of the vision for OW2 will be released to the game as part of the live service, including the launch of the PvE Campaign next year.
When OW2 launches on Oct 4th it will be a replacement for the current Live Service.
Overwatch: Winston’s Favorite Joke
- Unknown User Asked: What’s Winston’s favorite joke about the periodic table?
- Blizz_GavinJF Response: We don’t know yet, but we know one thing: it’s probably not boron. That’s funny because it’s a pun on “boring”.
That is the latest update in Overwatch’s in-game currencies. If you have any questions or you feel that we missed something, please feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!