Mat Piscatella, an analyst at NPD Group, shared statistics on video game and console sales in the US in September on his personal Twitter account, a month in which US gamers spent 3% more than they did in September last year. In total, $42.3 million have been spent on video games in the United States this year, which is 12% more than the same month in 2020.
- The PlayStation 5 is at the top of the list of this portion, as it was the best-selling console in both dollars and units in September in the US. Sony’s next-generation console has already made the most revenue from sales this year, while the Nintendo Switch has sold the most units in 2021.
- As per Piscatella, the PS5 has broken Nintendo Switch’s unbeaten run of being the best-selling console of the month in the United States for 33 weeks in a row.
September 2021 US NPD THREAD – September 2021 consumer spending across video game hardware, content and accessories grew 3% when compared to a year ago, reaching an September record $4.4 billion. YTD spending reached $42.3B, a 12% increase versus a year ago. pic.twitter.com/vjMnlgJ4OM
— Mat Piscatella (@MatPiscatella) October 18, 2021
Best-Selling Video Games (September 2021)
- In aspects of video games, there are a few titles to emphasize. There’s Madden NFL 22, which was the best-selling game in September and is now the second most successful game of 2021 in the United States.
- Life is Strange: True Colors, Tales of Arise, and WarioWare: Get It Together!, all of which had their corresponding premieres in September.
- Below these lines, you’ll find a list of the best-selling video games in September in the United States, which includes titles like FIFA 22 and Deathloopo Sonic Colors: Ultimate.
Mat Piscatella’s statistics also reveal interesting trends in the mobile gaming industry, which surpassed 2000 million dollars in September and has so far this year (28% more than 2020). In terms of accessories, sales have dropped by 12% since September 2020, despite the rise of 9% over the same period last year. In September of this year, the Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller became the most popular accessory in the United States.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!