The actor Ray Stevenson, who appeared in Thor and Star Wars, died aged 58 on May 21, 2023. His US-based publicist firm, Viewpoint, confirmed the tragic reports to BBC, but they haven’t disclosed any details regarding his cause of death. As per reports, Ray Stevenson was hospitalized during the filming of Cassino in Ischia on the Italian island.
The beloved actor, Ray Stevenson, appeared in famous TV shows such as Rome, Vikings, and Dexter. He was known for roles in the Divergent series and several TV shows like Band of Gold, Peak Practice, and Murphy’s Law. At the time of his death, he was working on an action movie, Cassino in Ischia. The announcement of his death came four days before his 59th birthday.
John Malkovich inspired Ray Stevenson to pursue a career in acting
Ray Stevenson was born in Northern Ireland and moved to England at the age of eight. His father worked with the Royal Air Force (RAF) near Lisburn, County Antrim, at the time of his birth in 1964. Stevenson’s family relocated to Newcastle, and spent much of his childhood in England.
- Stevenson once shared that he saw John Malkovich in a play at a West End theatre in London and felt inspired to pursue a career in acting. Bristol Old Vic Theatre School welcomed Stevenson as he studied acting, and his career spans decades and genres.
- He began his career in the 90s and appeared in A Woman’s Guide to Adultery. He also appeared in one of Catherine Cookson’s dramas, The Dwelling Place.
Ray Stevenson has sadly passed away at the age of 58.
Stevenson played roles in the following projects
• The Punisher: War Zone
• Black Sails
• MCU Thor trilogy
• Star Wars Rebels
• King Arthur
• The Other Guys
• The Divergent Series pic.twitter.com/vdCSn10Qvw
— Film Codex (@FilmCodex) May 22, 2023
- Following this, he appeared in a wide range of British TV shows, including Waking the Dead and At Home with the Braithwaites. 2004 marked one of his notable performances in the bid-budgeted Hollywood movie King Arthur, where he starred as a knight opposite Keira Knightly.
- His film career was just as rich as his TV screen appearances. He played a standout role in The Theory of Flight and appeared in Punisher: War Zone, The Other Guys, The Book of Eli, and 2011’s Thor, where he played Volstagg.
- Stevenson also reprised that role in the sequels Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok. He also appeared in the Divergent film series, with an appearance in the first installment as Marcus and returning in Allegiant.
As of this writing, Ray Stevenson’s cause of death has not yet been made public.
Netizens pay tribute to the Thor and Star Wars actor Ray Stevenson
Fans and colleagues of the actor Ray Stevenson paid tribute to the actor through social networks following the tragic news of his death. The production team of Star Wars and RRR also expressed their grief through a Tweet stating they were heartbroken to receive the tragic news of their friend.
We are heartbroken to hear of the passing of our dear friend Ray Stevenson. https://t.co/Q5OfTMLtBe pic.twitter.com/xdXcvjN8Nd
— Star Wars (@starwars) May 23, 2023
What shocking news for all of us on the team! 💔
Rest in peace, Ray Stevenson.
You will stay in our hearts forever, SIR SCOTT. pic.twitter.com/YRlB6iYLFi
— RRR Movie (@RRRMovie) May 22, 2023
RIP Ray Stevenson
My favorite Punisher growing up. The movie in general actually got me more into the character. The movie already had a special place in my heart and it always will. pic.twitter.com/k3rfvSXW1r
— Block A 🟣🟢 (@VillainousComix) May 22, 2023
- Ray Stevenson’s recent projects include 2022’s Memory and the TV series Das Boot and Accident Man: Hitman’s Holiday. Fans will be able to see him on screens in the upcoming Star Wars spinoff series Ahsoka, in which he will play Baylan Skoll, which is in its post-production.
- Ray Stevenson is also expected to appear in Cassino in Ischia and Gateway to the West, in which he worked before his untimely death.
What’s your favorite appearance of Ray Stevenson in a movie or a Tv show? Share with us in the comments below. For more content, stay with us here at Spiel Times. Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update. You can also follow us on Spiel Anime, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Until next time!