Yes, we finally have some inside information on Best Buy. After weeks of waiting, speculation, and heavy rumors, Best Buy is ready to sell the PlayStation 5 (PS5) according to an internal source. Here’s everything we know.
How did we acquire this information?
A Best Buy insider informed us about an email that the company’s store employees received regarding the sale of the PS5. Spiel Times has seen the email and we believe the details are credible enough for us to share. Keep in mind though, Best Buy might change the dates and timings without extended prior notice.
UPDATE (6:55 AM EST, December 15, Tuesday): Here’s the link for the Best Buy packages that could go live today – Click Here
Good luck everyone!
UPDATE (9:23 AM EST, December 14, Monday): Best Buy has confirmed the news, and the PS5 will be available in stock tomorrow, i.e., December 15, Tuesday, after 8 AM CT.
— Best Buy (@BestBuy) December 14, 2020
An exact time won't be available to ensure everyone has access. A limited number of bundles should be available in addition to the console-only offers. Check back after 8 AM Central for availability. https://t.co/27eH5Js9Dt
— Best Buy (@BestBuy) December 14, 2020
As of Monday, December 14, some stores still haven’t received any stock. If you order tomorrow, it might tell you to pick-up the console by Saturday, December 19. Curbside pickups might not happen within an hour for some stores due to no inventory. There’s no communication about quantities per location from corporate at the moment.
TIPS FOR THE DROP/RESTOCK
We worked with Jake Randall to come up with some of the best tips and practices for the Best Buy restock/drop –
- Stay on high alert from 7 AM CT (one hour prior to the given time)
- Keep in mind, the drop might not happen immediately at/after 8 AM CT. It could be anytime after that, so, keep trying and checking for at least a couple of hours
- Keep checking both app and website
- Have payment/shipping details saved
- Have your credit card details on autofill
- Inform credit card/bank that you’ll be making a big transaction (some orders got canceled due to suspicious activity during the last drop)
- Use both app and website (sometimes you can use one to add to cart and the other to check out)
- Use zip codes for remote areas if your nearest store shows no stock
- Could also try the biggest stores near you (for more stock availability)
- Have your email opened (preferably on the same device you’re using to purchase the console) so you can easily copy-paste the verification code (much faster than typing it out)
- From a community member regarding bot protection, “The last online drop, they gave a choice of email confirmation and text message to cellular phone. The last time I ordered I opted for a text message. It was instantly sent and I didn’t have to change web pages or look through an email.”
The date for the sale is December 15, Tuesday.
The sale event will start after 6 AM PST / 7 AM MST / 8 AM CST / 9 AM EST.
Online or Walk-in?
Here’s what the email exactly says –
Next-gen gaming consoles inventory will be available on BestBuy.com for store pickup on Tues., Dec. 15.
So, you’ll be able to purchase online from their website and go pick-up the console in-store.
App or Website?
According to the source, you’ll be able to use either of them. Personally, I’d suggest using the app.
Will they have both Disc and Digital version?
Both the Disc and Digital versions should be available, most probably in bundles.
W also have the following SKUs – 6428324, 6430277, 6426149, and 6430161.
Will Best Buy officially confirm this?
Again from the email –
Customers will receive communication about this event on Monday, Dec. 14, informing them the event will start after 8 a.m. CT.
So, keep an eye out for official communication from Best Buy on December 14. They could announce it on their website, through an email, or on their Twitter. This also gives us more room to verify the credibility of this information. If Best Buy confirms the date, well, good luck!
Will all Best Buy stores have inventory?
That’s a very complicated question as we can never tell. The email’s subject, however, does mention “All Store”. If we can get more information on this, we’ll let you know via our Twitter.
What are they doing to prevent bots?
To prevent bots, Best Buy has a code verification system. Once you order, you’ll receive a code via email, just like their last drops. We don’t know how effective the system is but I think it’s better than not having anything at all.
Thanks to ChitoGamingYT, we now have an image of the actual email. Check it out –
More from Best Buy’s website
“It all starts Dec. 15, when we will restock our online inventory of this year’s coveted PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles. They will go live sometime after 8 a.m. Central Time.”
“Here are a few options:
- Contactless curbside pickup is now available at all Best Buy stores. Your order will be ready within an hour, and we’ll safely and quickly bring it out to your car. (Click here to learn more about how it works.)
- We’ve expanded our same-day delivery options, and almost all Best Buy stores now offer this option on thousands of products. If you order by 3 p.m. local time, you’ll get your order by 9 p.m.
- As always, you can get free next-day delivery on thousands of items from BestBuy.com.
- You can pick up your order at one of more than 16,000 alternate locations, including UPS and CVS stores. More than 80% of the U.S. population lives within 5 miles of at least one of these locations.
- Throughout the entire holiday season, we have thousands of sales employees available to help with your online shopping needs through our digital voice or chat options.”
What if they don’t drop on the aforementioned date and time? If the drop doesn’t happen, we’d still suggest keeping an eye out for a Best Buy drop this week as we’ve been hearing a lot about a potential drop. Right now, trying and failing is better than not trying at all.
For updates on this, follow us on Twitter as we’ll be continually updating you with more information as we acquire them.
Make sure you subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Until next time, Stay Safe, Respect All Lives, and Happy Gaming!