Steam has seen another new record recently. Surpassing its previous record of 26.9 million concurrent users, Steam witnessed 27.1 million concurrent players yesterday!
Of this number, 7.8 million players were actively in-game and playing, which is another new record. Within the last 30 days, there has been an increase of 0.8 million users, which is yet another new record of surging numbers.
The numbers on Steam started to rise initially in January 2020 when the pandemic began to cause lockdowns and self-isolations. The previous concurrent player record, set in January 2018, stood at 18.5 million users.
- In February 2020, the record was at 18.8 million concurrent players. After 2 years, the record has been broken multiple times.
- At the end of 2020, the record stood at 24.7 million users in December, which was broken once again in February 2021 with 26.5 million players.
Steam once again beats its online concurrent users record with over 27 million users currently online.
— SteamDB (@SteamDB) November 27, 2021
However, it is not just the pandemic and the resulting work-from-home and online shift that has resulted in these huge numbers.
- Several new releases, and old ones that have been favorites for years, have also contributed to this. Some of these games are Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Rust, Apex Legends, GTA 5, and the new releases such as New World, Halo Infinite, Farming Simulator 22.
- In the face of increasing competition in the online gaming market, this is a positive achievement for Valve and Steam.
- With several new games lining up for release on the PC gaming platform, we can expect this number to rise further. Additionally, the ongoing Autumn sale surely lures in more players with the amazing offers in place.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!