Have you ever heard of the Backrooms? This internet legend has captured the imagination of many, drawing people into its mysterious and surreal world. There is something quite creepy about those endless office-like hallways. In fact, the story of the Backrooms creepypasta is so appealing that it’s getting its own film adaptation. Here’s what we know so far about it including who’s making it and possible release date.
The Backrooms film adaptation
There are many occasions where movies are adapted from books, short stories or even real-life incidents. However, it’s not often that a creepypasta on the internet gets so much attention in Hollywood.
- A while ago, 17-year-old Kane Parsons went viral with YouTube shorts of the Backrooms creepypasta. Now the same youngster is being roped in to direct a feature length horror film based on the same internet legend.
- Interestingly, young Kane Parsons is still in school, and he’ll be able to start production and direct the Backrooms movie only during his summer vacation.
- So, the film is expected to wrap up filming this year and be release by the end of 2023 or the beginning of 2024.
- Kane Parsons’ YouTube shorts on the Backrooms came out in 2022 and since then, they have accumulated over 100 million views.
More about the movie
The screenplay for the Backrooms creepypasta’s feature-length adaptation will be written by Robert Patino of HBO MAX’s DMZ fame. The film is being produced by two of the biggest names in the indie horror business, A24, and Atomic Monster.
- A24 is an independent film production company that has made a name for itself in the horror genre. Some of A24’s most popular horror films include Hereditary, Midsommar and The Lighthouse.
A feature film adaption of ‘THE BACKROOMS’, based on the viral YouTube horror series, is in the works at A24.
Kane Parsons will direct the film over his Summer vacation, with James Wan & Shawn Levy set to exec produce. pic.twitter.com/1IrpUrFlfV
— DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) February 6, 2023
- Atomic Monster is a production house run by another master of horror, director James Wan. Wan is the creator of the popular Saw franchise and is also behind the successful Insidious and The Conjuring series.
What are the Backrooms?
The Backrooms are said to be a series of interconnected rooms located in the deep web. The rooms are said to be procedurally generated, meaning that each time someone enters, the layout and contents of the rooms will be different.
One of the defining features of the Backrooms is the presence of the MFRs or Men in the Rooms. They are unsettling, with a blank and expressionless faces and a haunting, robotic voice. Backrooms also have a video game of the same name inspired by it.
Why is it popular?
So why do people find the Backrooms so intriguing? Perhaps it is the mystery and unpredictability of the rooms that draw people in.
the backrooms are fascinating to me because it implies the thing kids finds the most scary now is being in an office building (they aren't wrong) pic.twitter.com/u5FEh6JMI8
— Tyler Glaiel (@TylerGlaiel) February 1, 2023
The conditions in the Backrooms are bleak and inhospitable. The walls are endless, and the lighting is flickering, creating a disorienting and unsettling environment.
Whatever the reason may be, the Backrooms have become a lasting Internet legend that is so popular it’s getting its own film adaptation.
You can also share any questions you have about the Backrooms film adaptation. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.