Avocados are the whole reason why a culinary beauty such as guacamole exists. You can also use avocados as a spread on your morning toast to make sure that your day starts great. But since life has proven to us time and again that everything good comes with a price, avocados don’t come cheap. This is the entire reason why a supposed life hack went viral on social media platforms. On TikTok, there are plenty of videos you can find about this avocado hack. According to the hack, you’ll be able to keep your avocados fresh for a longer time.
Since this hack came to life, the FDA got involved and shared its thoughts about the avocado hack. It turns out that this hack will actually do you more harm than good. Sure, we’d love to save a penny or two but this is an unsafe method of keeping avocados fresh. If you really want to know how to keep this fruit fresh for longer, keep reading to find out more.
What is the avocado hack on TikTok?
A few months ago (May, to be exact), a video on TikTok went viral showing how you can hack the lifespan of your avocados. Various news reported that it’s a hack that’s gone viral in the past for all the wrong reasons.
- The TikTok hack instructs users to store their avocados in water and then put it in the fridge
- A similar life hack went viral on Facebook a few months ago before it found its way onto TikTok. The FDA has issued statements about how harmful this preservation method was
- According to the FDA, there is a “possibility that any residual human pathogens may be residing on the avocado surface”
- If you put the avocados in water, there’s a high chance the bacteria will multiply. This poses a serious threat to whoever consumes the avocados submerged in the water
FDA doesn’t recommend storing avocados in water for a month
The FDA also debunked the claims that you can store avocados for a month in your fridge with this TikTok hack. They backed up this statement with research performed by scientists in their organization.
- The bacteria usually found on the skin of avocados, Listeria monocytogenes can pierce through the skin and infect the actual pulp of the fruit
- This can happen within 15 days, especially if you’ll keep the container refrigerated
- If the bacteria successfully get into the pulp, you should consider throwing the avocado out. No amount of washing the skin will remove the bacteria from the fruit
How to properly do the TikTok avocado hack
As much as possible, avoid storing the avocados in water. You can always put them in the fridge but only do this if you see that the avocados are close to becoming overly ripe.
- According to Eating Well, this will make your avocados retain that green color for a longer time. But since avocados are still considered fresh produce, the quality of the fruit may become affected once you’re ready to use them
- The best way to avoid getting sick from bad avocados or having some with a weird texture is by always buying them fresh. This isn’t entirely a useful hack but it’s better than getting sick from a bad batch of avocados, right?
- You can also freeze the avocados, but these will be best used for smoothies and guacamole
Bonus hack: how to remove the pit without a knife
Of course, we’re not going to leave you high and dry without a proper avocado hack. This fruit is definitely a wonderful addition to our dishes, but prepping it takes time.
One of the annoying things about preparing an avocado is removing the pit. The most common method of removing avocado pits is with a knife. Fortunately, one TikTok user took the liberty of sharing their method of removing an avocado pit without a knife.
Here’s how to do it:
- You’ll still need a knife, but you only need it to cut the fruit in half
- Instead of using the knife on the avocado pit, hold the avocado with one hand
- Place the pit between your index and middle finger, with your thumb on the back
- Press your thumb into the fruit and the pit will immediately pop out
Before testing out a life hack, make sure that it’s safe — especially if it’s a food hack! If you have other questions about TikTok, feel free to share them in the comments below. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.