The Scottish actor, Robbie Coltrane passed from this life on October 14, 2022, at the age of 72. He is well-known for his role as Hagrid in the Harry Potter franchise. What better way to celebrate his acting career? Let us remember his best scenes as the favorite half-giant from the best-selling fantasy book of J.K. Rowling.
Here’s a look back at the unforgettable moments of Rubeus Hagrid and the lines that we would carry on forever. Until then, wands up for Robbie!
Hagrid’s huge entrance in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- His bold entrance is the best signal to share with the audience that he would be unforgettable! He even baked a cake for Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) and that cake design is now imitated in many birthday celebrations of the real muggles!
- Also, didn’t you feel revengeful when he blasted a spell to Dudley where he grew a tail? And when he easily bent the long gun of Vernon Dursley (Richard Griffiths)? Right? (evil laugh)
The talk with Hermione
Another unforgettable moment of Rubeus Hagrid is found in the Chamber of Secrets, Hagrid is introduced to be a good friend to the main characters. Draco Malfoy (Tom Felton) mocked Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) for being a muggle-born (mortal) or in their most nasty term, “mudblood.” Hagrid then comforted Hermione. He said, “Don’t you think on it, Hermione, don’t you think on it for one minute.”
This was his most empathic statement to remind her that she is more than what she is called. She is well-proven to be the brightest witch of her age after all.
Hagrid saved Hogwarts
- Because of his affinity for caring for unlikable creatures such as his pet Aragog, the giant arachnid, he was used as a scapegoat for the young Tom Marvolo Riddle or a.k.a. Lord Voldemort to cover himself as the heir of Slytherin.
- In this second installment of the franchise; the Chamber of Secrets, we learned how Rubeus Hagrid took the blame for something he didn’t do so Hogwarts wouldn’t close 50 years ago.
- It was a triumphant and heartfelt ending as Harry Potter told him, “There’s no Hogwarts without you, Hagrid” then students flocked to hug and greet him (except the Slytherins, of course).
Hagrid’s class featuring Buckbeak
- From Gamekeeper, Keeper of Keys, and Grounds of Hogwarts, his promotion to professor in Care for Magical Creatures is one of the unforgettable moments of Rubeus Hagrid.
- In Prisoner of Azkaban, Hagrid was very excited to teach his first class involving Buckbeak and we much enjoyed it when Harry Potter flew with the hippogriff right across the Black Lake. Still, this is one of the highlights of Hagrid’s career at Hogwarts.
Hagrid and Norbert
- How unusual it is to see a half-giant who has such a compassionate heart. His love for magical beasts and creatures makes him well-loved in the book and the film.
- Another unforgettable moment of Rubeus Hagrid is how his face lit up when Norbert was born. He is unafraid to show his soft heart despite his large build. “Look! He knows his mummy! Hello Norbert.”
“Never insult Albus Dumbledore in front of me.” This is what he said to the Dursleys in the first film. Because of this, he established himself as a loyal character. He made it clear that he knows what he is protective of; his honor, friendship, and loyalty.
As he said in the Harry Potter reunion special, “The legacy of the movies is that my children’s generation will show them to their children. You could be watching it in 50 years, easy. I’ll not be here sadly…but Hagrid will.”.
Rest in Paradise, Robbie Coltrane! You will always be in our hearts. Your characters in many films would remind us of your huge yet gentle heart. The whole world will greatly miss you.
Feel free to drop a comment in the comments section below. For more content, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!