Since the release of the first game in 2005, the God of War franchise has come a long way. Just like its protagonist Kratos evolving from a brutal jerk into a complex character, the PlayStation game itself has had its arc of evolution. God of War (2018) elevated the Santa Monica Studio franchise to new heights. Recently, God of War: Ragnarok has been unstoppable in sales numbers.
And this begs the question: which edition of God of War sold the most number of copies? Let’s find out and rank them by their numbers.
God of War: Ragnarok
We start with the most recent edition, God of War: Ragnarok. The latest installment is not ranked first on the list since it’s too early for the exact number of overall game sales. However, we’ll add it here for breaking a record after its first week of release.
- Sony announced that God of War: Ragnarok became the fastest-selling first-party launch game in PlayStation history. It sold over 5.1 million copies as of its debut week.
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) November 23, 2022
- The announcement came in late November and one can only imagine how much the sales must have skyrocketed in the following month.
- God of War: Ragnarok is on its way to catching up to God of War (2018) as the best-selling game in franchise history.
- The previous record holder for the fastest-selling first-party PlayStation game was The Last of Us Part II. This reportedly sold 4 million copies in just three days. We’ll start the God of War sales ranking now.
God of War (2018)
According to Sony’s latest financial earnings report, God of War (2018) has sold over 23 million copies to date. So, it ranks first on our list of which God of War sold the most.
- The game received universal acclaim with a 94/100 Metascore on Metacritic. It became the first PlayStation-owned game to be released outside their consoles after the initial date.
- God of War (2018) broke opening records in its heyday and sold over 3.1 million copies in its first three days.
God of War III
Until Ragnarok, God of War III was always inevitably going to be the second best-selling God of War game.
- With over 7.6 million copies sold, God of War III came out in 2010 as an epic conclusion to the God of War trilogy.
- In the game, Kratos sets out to destroy Olympus and along with it, Zeus himself.
God of War (2005) and God of War II
The list of most God of War copies sold would be incomplete without the original game in 2005 and its sequel in 2007.
- The estimated sales of both games tally around 4 to 4.5 million copies each, respectively. This cemented the franchise as a force to be reckoned with.
- God of War was first released for the PS2 console and marked the beginning of the Kratos saga.
Other God of War games such as Chains of Olympus, Ascension, and Ghost of Sparta as well as collections and remastered editions have all managed to cross the million mark in terms of copies sold.
Overall, the God of War franchise is estimated to have sold around 60 million copies worldwide making it one of the most successful ever.
You can also share any questions you have about God of War. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.