Tower of Fantasy has been all the hype in the past few days since its global release. When it was still in beta testing, players were already quick to notice that Tower of Fantasy had similar aspects to one of the top games at the moment: Genshin Impact.
And now that Tower of Fantasy has released everywhere, we can’t help but wonder if Tower of Fantasy is going to beat Genshin Impact. Here’s a closer look at the newest game from Level Infinite. We’ll also be comparing both Genshin Impact and Tower of Fantasy to see if it’ll beat the hit title from HoYoverse.
DISCLAIMER: This article contains spoilers about Tower of Fantasy’s storyline. Read at your own risk!
Comparing Tower of Fantasy and Genshin Impact
Having had the chance to play Tower of Fantasy after its initial global release, we can’t help but notice a few similarities between the two anime-style gacha games. The first thing we immediately noticed was right after booting the game up.
In Tower of Fantasy, it seems like our protagonists are brother and sister. If you ask us, that right there immediately reminded us of Lumine and Aether. Then, we get to the part where you have to choose whether you want your character to be male or female.
It felt like déjà vu when the game stopped and you had to make a decision. That sequence also reminded us of when we had to choose who to play as in Genshin Impact. Afterwards, the character you didn’t choose gets whisked away while your main character’s (MC) memories get wiped.
Another similarity we noticed in Tower of Fantasy and Genshin Impact is what they call their players.
- If you’ve played Genshin Impact before, you’ll know that players are called Travelers.
- On the other hand, players in ToF are called Wanderers.
However, what makes ToF different from Genshin is how it all starts. Like we said, your character gets their memories wiped and ends up in the Astra Shelter. But unlike Genshin Impact, you don’t immediately get to work on finding your lost sibling.
After you’re able to choose which character you want to play as in Tower of Fantasy, you can also customize their appearance. This is something not found in Genshin Impact. Although you get to pick between Aether and Lumine, you can’t really customize their appearances.
However, Tower of Fantasy lets you do that.
- It also features a wide array of customization settings which is perfect for players who are looking for an immersive MMORPG.
- You can style your character however you want.
- Additionally, you also have the chance to obtain different kinds of outfits and accessories as you progress in Tower of Fantasy.
We have yet to see this in Genshin Impact. As of now, the ‘character customization’ available is through purchasing skins for other characters. As for the main characters, there is no way to change their outfit or equip accessories on them.
There are lots of characters to interact with in Tower of Fantasy. But unlike Genshin Impact, there is a wide array of NPCs (non-playable characters) you can interact with in this newest anime-style game.
It seems that every NPC you encounter in the vast world of Tower of Fantasy has something to say to you. Heck, you can even talk to a mushroom who’ll give you something good if you do something for him.
On the other hand, some characters are somewhat similar to some Genshin Impact figures. Take for example Mi-a, your robot companion in Tower of Fantasy. She somewhat resembles Paimon from Genshin but the difference is, Mi-a is quiet most of the time.
Another familiar character is Zeke, the older brother of Shirli. His broody and serious nature reminds us of a certain red-haired man who owns the Dawn Winery. Our first thought when we encountered his character was that he sounded like Diluc.
In terms of physical appearances, one character resembles Diluc. Wanderers encounter KING, an SSR character, during one of the game’s main quests. From his red hair to his black outfit, he certainly resembles Diluc. However, their personalities are different so he’s not entirely similar to Mondstadt’s Darknight.
But like we said, other characters in ToF look and feel original to the game.
Both Genshin Impact and Tower of Fantasy feature an impressive open-world environment. However, there is a stark difference between the two games.
- For HoYoverse’s gacha game, it is more bright and colorful. This isn’t a surprise since the average Genshin player knows that the game is more fantasy-based.
- As for Tower of Fantasy, its environment leans more into the science fiction side of things. Sure, there are high places you can climb. But there are also structures that look like something straight out of a sci-fi movie.
For you to get around in the open world of Tower of Fantasy, you can use a variety of vehicles. You can summon a motorcycle, a jetboard, and even a jetpack to easily get around.
As for Genshin Impact, the means of traveling is through your Wind Glider and using Teleport Waypoints.
Another thing to note is the chests you encounter in both games are way different from each other.
- In Genshin Impact, we have the traditional treasure chests. They are classified according to their appearance and color.
- On the other hand, the chests in Tower of Fantasy look like a mechanical box. Also, you have to “activate” these chests to grab the loot inside.
There are also different kinds of treasure chests in ToF unlike in Genshin Impact.
GAMEPLAY AND COMBAT SYSTEM
Moving on to the overall combat system of Tower of Fantasy, this is where it stands out. Unlike in Genshin Impact, you can only control one character in Tower of Fantasy. Instead, you get to switch weapons in Tower of Fantasy.
Another thing we noticed in Tower of Fantasy’s combat system is how it focuses more on combo hits.
- For Genshin players, there are only around five attacks which your character can do.
- But in Tower of Fantasy, you can perform a lot of cool moves depending on the weapon you have equipped.
Aside from performing a combination of attacks, you can also perform aerial attacks in Tower of Fantasy. However, you perform these attacks at the cost of stamina so keep an eye on that, Wanderer!
One more neat feature in Tower of Fantasy is the Phantasia mode.
- What happens if you trigger this mode is you’re able to slow down time in a specific area.
- Enemies who are in this area will be affected and you’ll have a chance to perform your weapon’s special move on them.
- Additionally, you can also create cool combos while in Phantasia mode.
And finally, what sets Tower of Fantasy’s gameplay apart from Genshin Impact is the fact that it is an MMO.
- For massive multiplayer online games like Tower of Fantasy, players can battle against other players. This is called PvP or player versus player.
- Additionally, you can join Guilds in Tower of Fantasy to team up with other players.
All of these features in Tower of Fantasy sound pretty neat, right?
On the other hand, you can play multiplayer in Genshin Impact. But what you’ll be doing is teaming up instead of battling each other.
One of the most glaring differences between these two anime-style games is their gacha or pity system. Compared to Genshin Impact, players in Tower of Fantasy find it easier to earn the currency needed to ‘pull’ in banners.
Furthermore, the pity for Tower of Fantasy is said to be around 40 pulls.
- Tower of Fantasy also features a counter in banners so you can easily keep track of how many pulls you’ve made.
- You’re guaranteed to get the featured weapon at 80 pulls, too.
And like we said, it’s easier to earn the currency needed to pull in Tower of Fantasy. This is because while exploring in the game, you’re able to obtain single pulls from treasure chests scattered all over the open world.
On the other hand, you get 2 to 30 Primogems from treasure chests you open in Genshin Impact.
- To make a single pull, you need 160 Primogems.
So it’s obvious that Tower of Fantasy is quite generous in giving out rewards to players compared to Genshin Impact.
Is Tower of Fantasy going to beat Genshin Impact?
Tower of Fantasy is looking like it’s going to be a tough contender against Genshin Impact. But if you were to ask us whether it will beat Genshin Impact or not, we honestly think that it won’t.
Yes, there is hype for Tower of Fantasy right now since it’s just released. But there are still ways for Level Infinite to improve the game. Furthermore, we think it caters to a different kind of audience. So even though they’re both anime-styled gacha games, both games have different audiences.
In the short time we’ve been playing Tower of Fantasy, the storyline of the game is not enough to capture our interests. Unlike in Genshin Impact, the storyline HoYoverse set out for it is both compelling and complex. We just don’t feel a connection yet with the characters in Tower of Fantasy since the storyline is not that interesting.
Another factor which might make it hard for Tower of Fantasy to beat Genshin Impact is information overload. If you’re not a regular MMORPG player, you’ll find that features in Tower of Fantasy can be quite overwhelming at times.
Nonetheless, we’re hopeful that the player count of Tower of Fantasy will keep rising in the coming months. Who knows, maybe the devs will get to improving more in the game to attract more players.
It has advantages over Genshin Impact in terms of combat and multiplayer experience. So if they focus on improving those aspects as well as making the story more enticing, they might just beat HoYoverse.
Have you had the chance to try out Tower of Fantasy recently? How did it go? Do you think this new game is going to beat Genshin Impact? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below. We would love to hear your insights!
On the other hand, you can also drop any questions you have about Tower of Fantasy or Genshin Impact down below. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.