God of War: Ragnarok is one of the most anticipated video game releases before the year ends, and a lot of the series’ fans are looking forward to setting out on another adventure with Kratos and Atreus. In the upcoming release from Sony Santa Monica, we come across a lot of important figures in Norse mythology. However, there may be some fans who are wondering: why exactly are Kratos and Atreus searching for Tyr in God of War: Ragnarok?
In the previous game, we were unable to explore Tyr’s character since everyone in the Nine Realms believed that he was dead. After getting to know a brief background about who Tyr is, we’re finally encountering him in God of War: Ragnarok. From the looks of it, Tyr will be important in aiding both Kratos and Atreus as they try and stop Ragnarok from happening.
Who is Tyr in God of War?
Tyr is known as the God of War but despite this, he always wanted peace above everything. He is also the son of Odin but this didn’t affect Tyr’s relationship with the Giants. Because of their trust in Tyr, they allowed Odin entry into Jotunheim under the belief that Odin was only there to make negotiations for peace between the Aesir and the Vanir.
- Odin’s real reason why he wanted to enter Jotunheim was to discover more about Groa’s prophecy about Ragnarok. When he was unable to take Groa’s knowledge after strangling her to death, Odin set out for Jotunheim to try and steal information from the Jotnar
- The Allfather tried fooling the Jotnar by promising that he will hand over the Mjölnir so there would be peace between the two tribes. However, the Giants were quick to catch on to what Odin was up to and banished him from Jotunheim
- In the process of attempting to fool them, Odin found that Kratos and Atreus were part of the Ragnarok. At the time, he didn’t know who they were and because of that, he was unable to find out more
After the Giants banished him, Odin decided to avenge himself by letting Thor massacre the Giants of Midgard. Tyr felt like he played a part in letting this happen so to atone for his guilt, he helped Faye (Guardian of the Jotnar) conceal the gate to Jotunheim.
Odin imprisons his son
When Odin’s suspicions of Tyr teaming up with the Giants were confirmed, he immediately took action against his son. This resulted in Odin locking away Tyr forever. He also let rumors spread in the Nine Realms about Tyr’s death and because of that, everyone believed that the God of War, Law, and Honor was really gone.
This might also explain the reason why we never encounter Tyr in the previous God of War game.
Why are Kratos and Atreus looking for him in God of War: Ragnarok?
Both Atreus and Kratos want to find Tyr after discovering the prophecy of Ragnarok. The prophecy shows that Kratos and Atreus are at the center of all the events meant to take place in Ragnarok but the two have no idea how to stop it.
- God of War: Ragnarok picks up from where we left after the events of the first game. Everything that happened, especially Baldur’s death, triggered Fimbulwinter
- The trailer shows players that Tyr will most likely be teaming up with Kratos and Atreus. But because of his peace-loving nature, this might raise some problems for Kratos
- Atreus also expresses his desire to figure out who he really is as Loki. Because of Tyr’s good relationship with the Giants, he may be able to help Atreus get to know himself
There’s definitely more to come about Tyr and his story once God of War: Ragnarok releases on November 9, 2022. If you want to find out more about Tyr’s backstory, you can check out the information available on the God of War Wiki site.
For other questions about God of War: Ragnarok, feel free to share them in the comments below! Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.