Sometimes, we all want to take a break from the main story quests in God of War: Ragnarok and take on side quests we unlock along the way. Doing these side quests will not only give you a breather, but players can also receive rewards that will help them easily progress through the story. In this God of War: Ragnarok guide, we’ll help you get the Watchtower Key! Feel free to proceed reading below to know everything about this side quest.
What are Side Quests or Favors?
Side Quests are better known as Favors in God of War. Players have the option to do Favors at a later part in the game. On the other hand, you can also complete Favors as you receive them. Some Favors can only be done if you have the right equipment while others are easy to accomplish.
- Favors come from different characters in God of War: Ragnarok. It can come from Mimir, a talking squirrel, or even Freya herself. Each Favor, when completed, grants Kratos experience points and you can also come across important loot along the way.
Watchtower Key Favor
Players get this Favor while they’re doing another Favor in God of War: Ragnarok. While clearing the three mining rigs (which were Mimir’s idea, by the way), he’ll start telling you about something locked away in The Watchtower. This will only be triggered if you’re in the area of the mining rig where a gateway and Sindri’s shop is nearby.
- Before you set out on retrieving the Watchtower key, we’d like to give you a heads-up that you’ll need to battle some strong enemies. You always have the option to do this Favor at another point during your gameplay since you can upgrade Kratos’ skills and stats
- While clearing out the mining rigs, you will see an island in the middle. You can dock your boat here and immediately, you’ll come across Wenches and a few other enemies trying to block your way
How to get Watchtower Key
After arriving at the island in the middle of the water, you fight off a few enemies before coming across this area. On the ground, you will notice a part that can be broken with enough force from Kratos.
- You need to get up a vantage point to trigger the prompt that lets Kratos hook his Blades of Chaos onto the breakable part
- Underneath this breakable concrete is the area locked behind the gate you first see when you arrive at this island
- To your left side, you will see a wheel you can turn to have the lift go up or down
- Hold the wheel while you throw your Leviathan Axe at the gears to freeze them for a while. When you successfully stop the lift’s gears from moving, you can step away from the wheel and find a way to get on the lift
- Go back to the ledge where you came from and drop down so Kratos can start climbing over to the other side. Continue using the wood to bring Kratos over to the right until you can get on top of the lift
- When you reach the platform, you may want to summon your Axe back for the platform to move back up again. This time, you can now see the breakable part from a vantage point. Move your crosshair to the middle to get the prompt to break through it. Once you press the appropriate button, Kratos will use his Blades of Chaos and hurl through the ground
Defeat the enemies guarding the chest
- Once you’re underground, enemies will start attacking you before you can get to the chest. This certain enemy is annoying since it summons Wretches with its nest-like body
- Make sure to focus all your damage on the source of these Wretches. You can start getting overwhelmed with how many Wretches are attacking you so kill the source before it kills you!
- Alternate between your Axe or Blades depending on which enemy you’re locking on. The Axe inflicts more damage than the Blades. However, the problem you run into when using the Axe is that its attacks are slow. If Wretches start attacking you, use your Blades to ward them off
- Once you successfully defeat all the enemies, you can now head over to the chest with the red glow. Atreus is also standing in front of it, waiting for you to retrieve the Watchtower Key from inside
- After retrieving the Watchtower Key from the chest, turn around to exit the area. You can also open the gate which leads you back to where you docked your boat. From here, the Watchtower can be tracked but beware of the enemy you’ll need to face before freeing whatever’s locked away in the Watchtower!
Ready to free whatever is hidden away in the Watchtower?
Make sure you share, subscribe to our push notifications, and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!