Valheim is fun. But it gets much better with friends. With Valheim’s dedicated servers, you can team up with up to 10 people. This guide will help you with setting up a dedicated server and beyond. So, here’s everything you need to know about Valheim’s dedicated server setup.
Valheim Dedicated Server – How To Set Up
You can host a game locally from your computer. This will store the game files on your computer and other players can join in for drop-in co-op.
But to go with a dedicated server, here’s what you need to do. You can set up a separate client to host the server, even when you’re not online. This is how to do it.
It is recommended you use a separate PC to host the dedicated servers for better performance.
- Install Steam on the PC you want to setup dedicated servers for Valheim
- Click on “Tools” in Steam left-sidebar and search for “Valheim”. You’ll see “Valheim Dedicated Server”
- Open the folder you’ve installed the Valheim Dedicated Server in
- In the PC where you’re already playing Valheim, go to C:\Users\PC Name\AppData\LocalLow\IronGate\Valheim\worlds, copy everything, and paste in the same location on your server PC
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Valheim Dedicated Server. Find “start_headless_server”, right click and edit the file
- We’re using “X” instead of the names you’ve used. Find “start valheim_server -nographics -batchmode -name X -port 2456 -world X -password X -public 1”
- Change the values of “X” to whatever you want. Just make sure they’re unique
- If you want to make it a public server and show up on the servers list, keep the -public 1 as 1. If you want it to be private, change the 1 to 0
- Save it. Backup start_headless_server file. Once the game updates, it’ll get deleted. So, you need a copy of it to replace back after the update
- Now, go to your router software, opening ports 2456-2458 TCP/UDP on the server PC. The Host Port should be 2456. If you’re using a Firewall, open these ports there as well
- Start the server by double clicking “start_headless_server“
- That’s it. Your server will start working and it will show up on the Community Server list in 10-15 minutes
- If your server is private, ask your friends to join by viewing the Steam server browser – View > Servers in the Favorites tab. Then “Add A Server” button in the bottom right
- The IP address will be your server PC’s external IP. Find it by searching on Google – “my ip address”. Just use it like this – XXX.XXX.X:2457. Add the 2457 at the end
That’s it. That’s how you set up your very own dedicated server in Valheim. If you have any questions, feel free to let us know in the comments below. For more content related to Valheim, stay with us, here at Spiel Times.
Special thanks to PC Gamer for making this article possible.
Make sure you subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games. Until next time, Stay Safe, Wear a Mask, and Happy Gaming!