God of War: Ragnarok is quite possibly one of the greatest releases this year. From its stellar writing to an immersive experience that takes us on quite a journey with Kratos, Atreus, and all the other prominent figures in Norse mythology, everything about the game is just amazing. If you’re one of the players who have already finished the game, you may be wondering what comes next. Is there a next God of War game after everything that happened in Ragnarok?
Will we get another God of War game after Ragnarok?
Before we proceed, we’d just like to give a disclaimer that this article may contain spoilers about God of War: Ragnarok. If you haven’t finished the game yet, we highly suggest you turn back now before it’s too late! The game’s story is just too good to be spoiled, and we wouldn’t want to ruin your experience of it.
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s get to the matter at hand: will there be a next God of War game now that Ragnarok is finished?
- After Kratos and the others successfully defeat Odin and survive Ragnarok, they return to Midgard. This is when Atreus realizes that one of his missions in life is to find the remaining Giants. However, he wants to do this alone
- Kratos also discovers a whole other prophecy he hasn’t seen before. In the prophecy, it is shown that there is indeed hope and redemption for him. The prophecy depicts Kratos being worshipped by people as a God of War. This is a complete 360 of Kratos’ reputation as a God-Killer
What happens “beyond Ragnarok”?
When players reach the end of God of War: Ragnarok, they are free to roam the remaining Realms. In the place of Atreus, Freya joins Kratos and Mimir as they make it their mission to tie loose ends after Asgard’s fall.
Unlike God of War (2018), the latest release from Santa Monica Studio is vaguely open-ended. It does not give any direct hints about a next game coming anytime soon. However, the fates of the main characters do hint that there may be more to come.
The possible main protagonist in the next game
The chances of Atreus and/or Kratos being the main protagonist in the next game are high. Atreus left Midgard to set out on a journey on his own to seek the remaining Giants. As for Kratos, the new path he saw definitely sparked something inside him.
- If the next game does focus on Atreus’ journey to seek the remaining Giants, we’re hoping to see more of Jotunheim. Additionally, it would be interesting to see Atreus teach himself other ways to combat aside from his bow and arrow loadout
- On the other hand, it’s likely that the story revolves around Kratos once more. This time, however, he is more dedicated to being on a road to redemption. With the help of Freya, there’s a high chance Kratos does redeem himself and finally be worshipped as a God of War
- The next game may also reintroduce some friendly faces from God of War: Ragnarok. Some of these are Thrud, Tyr, and maybe even Sindri. There are many possibilities for how Santa Monica Studio will pull off the next game if they have plans on making another one
When will the next God of War game come out?
Since there is no direct announcement from Santa Monica Studio about a follow-up to God of War: Ragnarok, it will definitely take some time before the next game comes out. However, the massive success and hype that followed God of War: Ragnarok definitely did not go unnoticed and obviously, fans want more.
Based on the gap between God of War (2018) and Ragnarok (2022), we need to give devs some room to breathe. For now, let us bask in the gloriousness of God of War: Ragnarok and all it has to offer.
God of War: Ragnarok definitely exceeded our expectations. What do you think of a sequel? Should the story focus on Kratos, Atreus, or both again? We would love to hear from you in the comments below! Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.