Fans look forward to Marvel Cinematic Universe movies mainly to see how they continue their expansive narrative that now stretches out to over 30 films. However, with each new Marvel movie, comic book readers await the introduction of new characters from their illustrated universe into this cinematic one. MODOK gets an introduction in the new trailer for Marvel’s Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Read to find out who MODOK is and what role he plays in Ant-Man 3.
Who is MODOK?
MODOK (also written as M.O.D.O.K) stands for Mental/Mechanized Organism Designed Only for Killing. We’ll stick to calling him just MODOK then. MODOK has been a recurring supervillain in Marvel Comics since 1967.
- MODOK’s original human name is George Tarleton who was a scientist from Advanced Idea Mechanics (AIM), the organization responsible for mutating him into MODOK.
- In the Marvel Comics, MODOK has the appearance of a giant floating head inside a space helmet. This is because the mutation caused Tarleton’s head to grow while stunting his body, giving him a grotesque look.
MODOK in Ant-Man 3 trailer
- In the new trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, we get a glimpse of MODOK’s first live-action look.
- In the trailer, we first see the floating head in the background behind Ant-Man, Kang, and Cassie Lang. Corey Stoll who previously played the villain Yellowjacket in the first Ant-Man movie returns as MODOK. We see his face bloated digitally inside the floating head.
— Culture Crave 🍿 (@CultureCrave) January 10, 2023
- In Ant-Man, Yellowjacket AKA Darren Cross worked for Hank Pym and tried to replicate the Pym particle formula and sell it to HYDRA. It is still unconfirmed whether Darren Cross and MODOK are the same person, despite having the same actor.
- The second instance of MODOK in the trailer is in his complete form as the cybernetic mutant. This comes in the middle of a fight as we don’t see any face and just a massive and terrifying space helmet with little limbs.
MCU Phase Five
Scheduled to be released on February 17, 2023, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania marks the beginning of MCU’s Phase Five. The trailer offered a glimpse of Scott Lang taking a deal from Kang the Conqueror in exchange for the five years he lost with his daughter during the blip.
KANG THE CONQUEROR IS HERE!!! pic.twitter.com/CAZ7asHeOj
— Matt Ramos (@therealsupes) January 10, 2023
- Played by Jonathan Majors, Kang made his first appearance in the Disney+ series Loki as the guardian of the Time Variance Authority (TVA). His role in the MCU is crucial as the upcoming Avengers movie is titled “The Kang Dynasty”.
Are you excited for the arrival of MODOK in Marvel’s upcoming Ant-Man 3?
You can also share any questions you have about MODOK and Ant-Man 3. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.