If you are a die-hard Hunter x Hunter fan, you’re most likely aware of a certain Nen chart. And it’s been going all around the internet. The power of Nen is the main epitome of powers in HxH Nen. So, why not redefine the entire Hunter x Hunter Nen power system again?
Nen Types and Nen Proficiencies
At the end of October 2022, Togashi (the creator) released a memo consisting of two charts. The first one is a Nen Type Graph that shows that Nen is a spectrum, and the second is a Nen Proficiency Graph that gives 4 ratings for a user’s Nen proficiency at the ongoing time in the manga.
There’s nothing new to be honest, as per se about this information. Togashi, being a fantastic mangaka, developed the story such that these Nen charts just affirm what we intuitively accept to be valid in the first case.
Other than that, Togashi’s Nen update truly refines the Nen power structure, to a point where there is no debate on character powers and abilities when it comes to Nen. Below is a full explanation of the main facts that the charts give us.
Characters can only have One Nen Type
One of the biggest confusion around the fandom is whether characters can possess multiple Nen types. The hexagonal spectrum Togashi provides, goes (in clockwise order): Enhancement, Transmutation, Conjuration, Specialization, Manipulation, Emission.
- To clear it out, all the characters can only have a single innate Nen type that they are born with, which is their primary Nen type. But, the can lean towards another Nen type, adjoining their primary type on the spectrum.
- As an example, characters who are “pure” Enhancers, can likewise incline either toward Transmutation or Emission.
What is the Nen information mentioned in the chart?
- As per the chart, Gon is a pure Enhancer. But Palm and Nobunaga, whose innate type is also Enhancement, lean 20% and 40% respectively towards Transmutation. On the other hand, Gotoh and Ikalgo, whose inborn type is Enhancement, lean 20% and 40% respectively towards Emission.
- Training every Nen type is in order to improve the user’s main type. In chapter 148, when Bisky was training Gon at Emission and Transmutation, she set him among Emission and Enhancement, however nearer to the last option. Gon is bad at Transmutation, kind of good at Emission, but excels at Enhancement.
However, characters always have an integral bias in learning skills based on their innate type.
Some characters are “Two-handed” but still have just one Main Attribute
There are few characters who are placed exactly in the middle of two Nen types. In the above information, Nobonaga leans 40% towards Transmutation. But Killua and Machi lean 50% towards Transmutation, and 50% towards Enhancement.
- The thing is that, knowing the main Nen type changes everything. Even though Killua and Machi exist in the center of Enhancement and Transmutation, they still don’t have dual Nen attributes.
- Both of them are Transmuters but they can learn Transmutation as well as Enhancement Nen skills equally.
In a nutshell, Killua might be able to develop an Enhancement Nen ability just the Transmutation one. But, as he’s an innate Transmuter, his Transmutation skill will always be stronger.
Some characters can change Nen Type into “Specialists”
- In some rare cases, one’s innate type can be shifted to Specialization, which is the only acquired Nen type.
- Specialists are one of the most complicated Nen users, that can be explained easily. That’s why most of the fans suspect Ging (the father of Gon) to be a Specialist.
The 4 types of Nen Proficiencies
Togashi confirms that there are 4 proficiency ratings on that we can base a character’s Nen abilities: Ultimate, Genius, Excellent, and Great. These are based on the amount of training the character puts in, their knowledge, experience, and luck also.
- When Gon became Adult Gon to defeat Pitou, he went from Great to Ultimate in an instant. Losing his Nen ability altogether.
- The ratings don’t give a power level as such, but only compare the power relative to one more inside a similar Nen composing.
Who are the characters with the “Ultimate” Proficiency?
There are only 6 characters who have reached the Ultimate Proficiency in their own Nen types. They are:
- Biscuit Krueger
Below is the list of all the other characters with their innate abilities.
- Gon Freecss
- Isaac Netero
- Palm (+ 20% Transmuter lean)
- Nobunaga (+40% Transmuter lean)
- Gotoh (+ 20% Emitter lean)
- Ikalgo (+ 40% Emitter lean)
- Killua (+ 50% Enhancer lean)
- Machi (+ 50% Enhancer lean)
- Hanzo (+ 50% Conjurer lean)
- Kite (+ 50% Transmuter lean)
- Tsubone (+ 50% Transmuter lean)
- Kurapika (+ 50% Specialist lean)
- Chrollo Lucilfer
- Milluki (+ 20% Specialist lean)
- Ponzu (+ 10% Emitter lean)
- Shalnark (+ 20% Emitter lean)
- Kalluto (+ 40% Emitter lean)
- Leorio (+ 40% Enhancer lean)
- Franklin (+50% Enhancer lean)
- Pokkle (+ 20% Manipulator lean)
- Melody (+ 50% Manipulator lean)
HxH never lets down with its unique cast, characters, and power structures, making it one of the most enjoyable anime to date. Neither does it let down with its HxH nen structuring.
If you ever had the ability to choose one of these Hunter x Hunter Nen Charts, which one would you choose? Let us know in the comments down below.
Sources: HxH Fandom, Tv Tropes
Make sure you share, subscribe to our push notifications, and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!