Why is Kazuya Kinoshita the most hated rom-com protagonist? Rent A Girlfriend Season 1 has been a thrill ride of a romantic comedy up to this point. Without a doubt. But, Protagonist Kazuya Kinoshita is quite terrible – – not as in he’s mean, or abuses individuals, yet rather that he’s pathetic.
He invests quite a bit of his energy sulking because he can’t move past his dreadful ex who dumped him 15 seconds into the premiere episode. Let’s see how this plain-looking man could splash such a cause in the Anime Community.
I see rent a gf The comments
Post are all Kazuya
— 🍮 Law 🍮watch pin 👻 (@SlyPerformer) January 17, 2022
The process of writing good Rom-Com Protagonists
Writing a good harem romantic comedy anime is a staggering test. How would you justify this individual earning the affection of more than one love interest? Can you make them agreeable and significant? How would you appropriately shuffle the romantic chemistry of every individual in the harem to keep the crowd guessing?
- If executed correctly, you could create some really amazing stories. Futaro from Quintessential Quintuplets is a great example; he’s a character who procures the attention of the titular quintuplets.
- Hikigaya Hachiman from My Teen Romantic Comedy: SNAFU is another one. These are two instances of elegantly composed harem protagonists, both of whom lift the tales they’re into incredible heights.
Then there’s Kazuya Kinoshita from Rent-A-Girlfriend. He’s what you get when the author doesn’t even bother trying to be clever.
Kazuya from rent a gf is by far the most pathetic man I think I've ever seen in any media. pic.twitter.com/SayreyP6wR
— Ryan (@tsembashi) December 29, 2021
Kazuya Kinoshita as a character
Kazuya is an unashamed instance of a wish-fulfillment character. He doesn’t have a convincing character arc or a fun, likable personality. He’s simply the person that all the cute, attractive anime young ladies experience passionate feelings for to give the interest group some feeling of satisfaction.
Have we encountered these kinds of personalities before?
- It isn’t like we haven’t seen that previously. There have been in excess of a couple of characters like that over the years. Most isekai heroes are that way, and they’re very common.
- However, Kazuya has earned more dislike from the viewership than any of those folks who joined. And, why is that?
Indeed, the response is shockingly simple: none of them is as unlikable a lewd lowlife as he is. Way off the mark.
i was cheering him on so hard when he was being self reflective about needing to improve himself and then he proceeded to stalk a girl for an entire episode and got rewarded for it IM TIRED
— Emirichu 🍓 (@EmirichuYT) January 4, 2021
But, why is Kazuya not likable?
Kazuya Kinoshita is the most hated rom-com protagonist. In my opinion, the lack of character development is by far the biggest flaw of Kazuya Kinoshita as the main character. It is a pattern among trashy yet fun anime/manga series of extremely fiery “slice of life” classes to make the MC a self-embed type.
- They attempted to make the MC to be all around as engaging as could really be expected. They are “normal“, “failure“, “NEET” hermits, or socially inept.
- Kazuya’s concern is that he doesn’t actually have something to that effect. Of course, he wants to make his grandma happy. Yet that seldom rarely plays into the actual story. Kazuya doesn’t actually have an objective past getting along with Mizuhara.
If she wasn’t there, he’d be an empty, horny shell of a person.
What is the fan’s reaction to this?
Somehow fans who are tired of the series theorized that the author might creepily fell in love with the main girl character, Chizuru Mizuhara, and decided that the MC guy was some kind of a rival, thus he trashed the poor guy.
Rent a GF would actually be a good show if it had a good protagonist, the girls in it are surprisingly decent characters. Kazuya just ruins everything though lmao.
— Rubicon (@Rubic0n9) September 6, 2022
Does Kazuya have any good qualities?
Not at all like most romantic protagonists, Kazuya doesn’t simply totally dismiss ladies who are romantically interested in him out of his life. He simultaneously considers his affection for the individual and that individual’s prosperity since he’s not childish or cold-hearted.
Kazuya has a ton of characteristics that makes him a seriously working idea as a human in pretend presence.
- He knows his subject matter — be it ichthyology as a hobby or business administration as a subject of his study.
- He is strong-willed, tenacious, and generally has a good heart.
- He is honest and can be brave at times.
- He tries his best to avoid hurting people (which often fails because of his social ineptitude, instead of him being actually mean).
Just finished Rent A Girlfriend…
Ruka is someone I wanna meet in real life
Mami is weird
Sumi is precious and I wanna protect her
Chizuru is realistic and would be a good GF
Kazuya overall is a wimp…
But a good guy nonetheless
— Anibwu 🍥 (@AnibwuDesu) December 1, 2020
It’s not that Kazuya is an inherently bad character. With a few adjustments, he could have been a decent harem protagonist. Not exceptional, maybe, but at least tolerable.
Rent A Girlfriend now comes under the cringe category
Not that long, the anime hacking site Animix Play turned into a pattern since it added to the establishment of Kanojo, Okarishimasu (Rent A Girlfriend) to a separate category from the rest: “Cringe“. This expression refers to “pity others“.
And the series joins this category alongside Kanojo mo Kanojo (Girlfriend, Girlfriend), Jaku-chara Tomozaki-kun (Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki), Hajimete no Gal (My First Girlfriend is a Gal), Aho Girl, Gamers!, School Days among others.
However, far from surprising fans, this did nothing more than generate a mixed reaction of “I expected it“.
Everything that is expressed, at its center, Rent-A-Girlfriend remains parts a fascinating, activity-pressed romantic comedy and a semi-creating romantic tale. Regardless of being a hot mess of a series up until this point, a lot of interest – – and maybe some excessive curiosity – – still remains parts.
Kazuya Kinoshita may be the most hated rom-com protagonist. But, nothing you did, the time you invest, is going to be worth something. The same goes for Kazuya, he’ll just disappoint, until he finally doesn’t. (I hope so)
IMDb depicts the story of Rent-A-Girlfriend as:
After being dumped by his girlfriend, a college student enlists a dating service to “rent” a girlfriend who, unbeknownst to him, happens to be both a fellow student and his neighbor.
Make sure you subscribe to our push notifications. Stay posted and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!