Hunter x Hunter finally returned back from its 4-year hiatus announced on the 24th of May 2022 which surprised and subsequently excite fans. Manga artist Yoshihiro Togashi seems to have recovered from his health concerns through his well-deserved hibernation. With this, let us have a look back at all Hunter x Hunter Main Characters and abilities.
Hunter x Hunter: Return from Hiatus
The return of the hit anime and manga series Hunter x Hunter caused waves throughout the entire community. The news came out when a suspecting Twitter account handle @Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp (冨樫義博 – Yoshihiro Togashi) posted a drawing board with the caption originally in Japanese Language and translated to “4 more episodes for the time being”.
— 冨樫義博 (@Un4v5s8bgsVk9Xp) May 24, 2022
At first, fans do not believe the post as anyone can just create a fake account to stir-up hype. But to everyone’s surprise, Yusuke Murata, mangaka of One-Punch Man, commented and validates the post.
In the new episode, however, fans will not be seeing Gon and Killua, who are among the main characters. The story currently focuses on Kurapika who is currently considered the protagonist of the Hunter x Hunter’s return from the hiatus.
With that, let us familiarize or refresh our memories of the main characters of Hunter x Hunter and their abilities.
Hunter X Hunter: Main Characters
There are four main characters whose names are Gon Freecs, Killua Zoldyck, Kurapika, and Leorio Paradinight. Each one has a different purpose but eventually got connected through the Hunter x Hunter exam.
Gon Freeccs, son of legendary Hunter Ging Freecs, decided to become a hunter in pursuit of understanding his Dad’s motive for being always out for hunter missions. Otherwise, Gon will not be able to find or even meet his father.
- Fishing Rod (Weapon) – Gon uses his fishing rod for mobility and to contain enemies.
- Heightened Senses – Posses extreme senses which can be compared to and surpass animals who specialize in them.
- Touch – Extreme presence detection in the dark thru feel.
- Taste – Determines even the most tasteless.
- Smell – Can detect a brewing storm.
- Sight – Spots people from long distances
- Hearing – Hears the lightest glide of a bat.
- Healing and Recovery – Can recover from injuries and poison inflictions at an incredibly fast rate.
- Controlled Presence – Able to suppress his presence which enables him to move stealthily and undetected. Ninja!
- Hand-to-hand Combat – Adept in close hand-to-hand combat.
- Extreme Physicality – Achieved a rapid increase in strength, agility, as well as tenacity.
Jajanken Rock, Paper, Scissors (Nen Ability)
- Rock – Enhanced punching powers
- Scissors – Sharp energy blade coming from middle and index (scissor) fingers
- Paper – Aura projectile originated from Gon’s hand.
- Transformation (Nen Ability)– In an emotionally distressing state, Gon transforms into an older stronger version of himself. Then, increases his Nen, physical strength, aura, and reserves. However, this causes Gon to not be able to use his Nen abilities and a life-threatening skill.
As part of the deadliest assassin family Zoldyck, Killua Zoldyck was trained to be an assassin in his childhood but run away from home to find his purpose. Eventually, Killua took the Hunter x Hunter exam in pursuit of his goal to pave his own path.
- Skateboard (Mobility) – Used for mobility during the Hunter X Hunter Exam
- Yo-yos (Weapon) – Pair of alloy yo-yos weighing 50kilograms used as a weapon and can also be infused with Killua’s lightning.
- Sharp Claws (Weaponized) – Assassination art of the Zoldyck family which is passed to generations.
- Power Perception Gauge – Detects a person’s approximate power or aura even when trying to suppress it.
- Enhanced Strength – Uses strength and aura usage efficiency to deliver maximum damage and can also physically move large objects. Specifically, Killua mostly uses strength and aura efficiency in dealing with piercing damage.
- Tremendous Speed, Reflexes, and Agility – Able to deliver speedy blows from any direction. Reflexes help dodge enemies for a counterattack.
- Extreme Stamina, Durability, and Endurance – Killua can bear extreme pain and withstand drawn-out battles/activities.
- Resistance to Electricity – Can withstand high-voltage electrical currents with full combat capability.
- Poison Resistance – Not affected by poison, toxins, or chemicals
- Extreme Muscle and Joint Flexibility – Able to dislocate and re-attach joints and muscles for mobility.
- Healing and Recovery – Can recover from injuries in a short period of time.
- Strategist with Genius-Level Intellect – Devices complex situation tactics and simulates inside his head.
- Hand-to-hand Combat Specialist
- Assassin State – Tunnel visions of killing an enemy without hesitations.
- Snake Flurry – Swings his arms with remarkable fluidity and speed, cleaving everything in his path.
- Stealth Mode – Killua is trained in hiding, spying, and infiltration as an assassin.
- Dark Steps – Walking and running without sounds.
- Limb Melody – An Assassination art that Creates decoys thru immense speed in combination with Dark Steps technique.
- Tracking and Surveillance– Like most assassins, Killua can track and recon without being spotted.
Lightning Transmutation (Nen Ability)
- Lightning Palm – Electrocute opponents thru touch and staggers them.
- Thunderbolt – Throws a Lightning projectile from above which can paralyze opponents.
- Godspeed (Whirlwind and Lightning Speed) – Whirlwind causes automatic reaction through preprogrammed moves while Lightning Speed allows Killua to increase his jumping and running speed.
Kurapika of Kurta Clan
Kurapika is the only survivor of the Kurta Clan who was massacred for its Scarlet Eyes. The Black List Hunter Leader (Bounty Hunter) seeks revenge on those who massacred his clan and recovered the remaining Scarlet Eyes. Kurapika is also a member of the Zodiacs with the codename “Rat”.
- Knives, Shuriken, Switchblade, and Handgun – Kurapika uses various weapons hidden under his clothing but only uses them as a secondary tool.
- Nen Chains – Weaponizes chains through the use of Nen
- Scarlet Eyes – An angered Kurtal Clan member turns their eyes into a bright red color which signals an incredible boost in physical strength. Kurapika could acquire the upper hand in terms of speed and strength over three adults in this state, even as a youngster, and easily overpower them. Kurapika, on the other hand, stated that when his eyes turn scarlet, he loses all restraint and rationality and goes primal, which happens every time he sees a spider.
- Ultra Instinct – Like Gon and Killua, Kurapika also has great perception and can detect targets even in a suppressed state.
- Strategist with Genius-Level Intellect – Among our main characters, Kurapika has the brightest mind which solves, plan, and execute extremely difficult mind games and riddles.
Conjurer and Specialist State(Nen Ability) – Can create objects from thin air.
- Dowsing Chain – Kurapika utilizes this regularly in typical conditions for both defensive and offensive purposes.
- Chain Jail – An incredibly durable chain, shaped like a hook, which is designed to snare and restrain Spiders. Additionally, it puts its victims into a condition of Zetsu, turning off their aura and preventing them from using Nen powers.
- Emperor Time – Kurapika transforms from a Conjurer to a Specialist when Scarlet Eyes is activated. This means that the skill allows him to use all sorts of Nen to their full potential (for a Conjurer).
- Holy Chain – Shaped like a cross, it cures wounds by drawing from Enhancement abilities. When Kurapika is in his Specialist state, he can heal serious injuries, such as a fractured arm, within seconds.
- Judgment Chain – A blade on the end of this chain, the Stake of Retribution, penetrates the victim’s flesh and wraps around their heart. When Kurapika issues an order to the victim and disobeyed, the Stake of Retribution will pierce the victim’s heart
- Stealth Dolphin – Kurapika may summon a dolphin-like creature with a syringe on each pectoral fin that is only visible and audible to him.
Leorio Paradinight is a medical student who later became part of the Zodiacs, codename Boar, along with Kurapika. With a naturally good heart but sometimes perverted, Leorio desires to be a doctor to help people, especially children.
- Switchblade – Leorio rarely uses this weapon. In fact, the enemy Phantom Troupe kept this under their possession when Leorio delivered threats to them. Moreover, Leorio is a Charismatic leader who became a Staff Advisor of the Hunter x Hunter association
- Medical Prowess – Due to his studies, Leorio became skilled in first aid and can diagnose certain human nuances.
- Emission Remote Punch (Nen Ability) – Leorio emits his aura in a line that moves along a surface from the place of impact to the target area after striking an object. A fist that is significantly longer than a typical arm emerges from a wormhole-like circle that is created to strike the target.
Those are the four main characters of Hunter X Hunter. If you have any questions or you feel that we missed something, please feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Make sure you also subscribe to our push notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!