The Witcher fans were hit with a wave of emotions when news broke that Liam Hemsworth would be replacing Henry Cavill as Geralt of Rivia in the upcoming fourth season. Cavill’s portrayal of Geralt has been a huge part of the show’s success, as he embodies the character and has a deep appreciation for the source material. But now the question seems to be clear, can Liam Hemsworth be better than Henry Cavill in The Witcher 4 and 5?
The world still is looking forward to how Netflix replaces Henry Cavill with Liam Hemsworth
- Ever since, multiple artists have envisioned how Liam Hemsworth in The Witcher 4 and 5 may look like. And this is when official first-looks are not already out yet.
- Such artists and their work may have worked a little in mending the heartache that Henry Cavill’s departure from both The Witcher series and DC Universe left for many beloveds.
A primary question is – will Liam Hemsworth simply replace Geralt? Or will he be shown as another character altogether to whom Geralt passes the baton down quite literally within the series. And this new character himself takes up the Geralt name?
Can Liam Hemsworth be better than Henry Cavill?
While concerns about Hemsworth’s ability to fill Cavill’s shoes are understandable, there seems to be a resounding hope that he could bring his own unique spin to the character. And hence the question, can Liam Hemsworth be better than Henry Cavill?
- Redanian Intelligence has reported that Liam Hemsworth auditioned for the role of Geralt along with many other actors back in 2018, during the early stages of casting for the show. Although it’s unclear where he stood among the contenders at the time, he was considered a top choice.
- When the decision was made to replace Henry Cavill, the producers went back to the original auditions and chose an actor without holding further auditions. This decision was made while Season 3 was still in production.
How Henry Cavill passed the torch to Liam Hemsworth in Instagram
Last year around the end of October, the Man of Steel actor took to Instagram to sound the audience of his awaited departure. And also gloriously passed on the baton to good sir Liam Hemsworth in an Englishly poetic tone. (Although tones aren’t always tellable when written, but we got his glory across).
- Such a positive outlet in Henry’s message probably came from the fact that by that time, his departure was only for The Witcher’s Geralt.
- It was right around when Black Adam had hit the theatres, bringing hopes of the Man of Steel back into the DC. Although such glory lasted only sparingly – having swept up in an ocean of tides that now got Henry Cavill as neither Geralt nor Clark Kent.
Why is Netflix replacing Henry Cavill with Liam Hemsworth?
Things still aren’t clear as to why Henry Cavill is being replaced by Liam Hemsworth for the upcoming season of The Witcher. Rumors suggested that Cavill may have wanted to leave the show due to his return as Superman. But speculation has been rife that his departure is due to his frustration with the show’s divergence from the source material.
- This theory was recently supported by Doug Cockle, the voice actor for Geralt in The Witcher video games, who stated at MCM Comic-Con that Cavill’s passion for the original material and his dissatisfaction with the show’s changes may be behind his decision to exit.
- While the show’s decision to deviate from the books and games is a matter of personal preference, it appears that it may have been a contributing factor in Cavill’s departure.
About the currundum surrounding The Witcher’s unfaithful adaptations
While adaptations may take creative liberties, it is crucial for projects inspired by existing works to show respect for the original mythology in order to be successful.
As fandomwire put it out for all of us, HBO’s The Last of Us is a prime example of a series that remains faithful to its source material while also incorporating new storylines without compromising the main plot.
Will Liam Hemsworth be a new character altogether?
As of now, there is no indication that Liam Hemsworth will appear in The Witcher season 3. However, it is possible that Netflix may introduce him in the season 3 finale or through a post-credit tease.
More likely, season 3 will serve as Henry Cavill’s farewell, with Hemsworth formally taking over as The Witcher in season 4. This approach would allow Cavill to have his final moments in the spotlight and for promotional materials for season 4 to heavily feature Hemsworth’s arrival.
Also Read: Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us Part 1 on Steam is receiving Mostly Negative reviews – Here’s why
Make sure you subscribe to our push-notifications and never miss an update from the world of video games, cinema, and sports. You can also follow us on Twitter @spieltimes for the latest PS5 restock and drop. Until next time, Stay Safe and Happy Gaming!