Love is in the air as February is almost here and so is Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t matter if you’re celebrating it with your loved one or alone at home. Watching a rom-com during Valentine’s is practically a tradition that you can’t skip. It’s hard to pick from Netflix’s array of titles as romantic comedies are unofficially the platform’s favorite genre. Read to find out how we rank the best rom-com films on Netflix for you to watch during Valentine’s 2023.
1st: Notting Hill (1999)
Valentine’s isn’t Valentine’s without a film starring the Queen of Hearts (and rom-coms), Julia Roberts. Released in 1999, Notting Hill is still one of the most popular as well as critically loved feel-good rom-coms of all time.
- Hugh Grant plays a British bookseller who falls in love with a high-profile American actress Anna Scott, played by Julia Roberts. Written by the master of rom-coms Richard Curtis, Notting Hill is a no-brainer choice on Netflix for Valentine’s 2023.
2nd: Palm Springs (2020)
Science fiction is an odd genre to choose on Valentine’s Day, but Palm Springs blends it perfectly into a sweet rom-com that’s easy to fall in love with.
- The film builds on the idea of the time-loop classic Groundhog Day and tells the story of two wedding guests living the same day over and over again. In this process, the characters played by Andy Samberg and Cristin Milloti fall for each other.
3rd: The Holiday (2006)
- Two women get tired of their respective relationships and decide to swap homes. During this time, they fall for local men which makes it hard for them to get back to their real lives.
4th: The Half of It (2020)
Possibly the only high-school drama on this list, The Half of It is a tender and funny coming-of-age rom-com streaming on Netflix. The film is written and directed by Alice Wu.
- The film revolves around an introverted Chinese American student who helps the school jock write a love letter for his crush.
- The tables turn as she starts to fall for the girl and develop an unlikely friendship with the jock, as well.
5th: The Ugly Truth (2009)
- Streaming on Netflix, this is a rom-com that’s far from perfect but works great as a guilty pleasure on Valentine’s.
6th: 13 Going on 30 (2004)
- Her wish comes true that very night as she wakes up as a 30-year-old woman, living her ideal life.
- This 2004 romantic comedy film is a charming throwback to the 80s as well as any generation’s teenage years.
It’s time for you to bookmark this list, make some hot chocolate, curl up on your couch with your loved ones and switch on Netflix. Which rom-com film from this list are you going to watch on Netflix during Valentine’s 2023?
You can also share any questions you have about romantic comedies on Netflix. Until then, stay with us here at Spiel Times for more content.